anybody have a flower anenome?

dburr

I think it's a flower anenome.
I don't have pics, but I got this rock from my brother. When I pick it up I saw this dome shape, like a ball. He didn't know what it was.
When its open it's about 1 1/2 dia. It's tanish/brown with pearl white bubble tips around the perimiter. It looks like a mushroom.
I feed it today some formula one with a turkey baster and that thing snaped shut so fast it scared me. :eek: It ate a big chunk. :cool:
It seems to be low light loving, and very hardy. (my brothers salanity was 1.030) :eek:
I have never seen anything like this. If anyone has info please let me know what this is and how to care for it.
thanx
dburr

ebeckels

i have a flower anemone...it is very hardy... it has lasted in my tank through a lot of crap...when everything else died the flower anemone is still there and looking perfect. My flower anemone has a typical anemone stump...and the head part has light almost white soft tentacles with larger and thicker white tentacles spaced within the soft light tentacles...it opens up completely and looks like a flower i guess. Mine was very cheap...$5.00 at a local store.
Hope this helps. Sorry i don't have a digital camera to send u a pic of it.
-Eric

by chance are you talking about a Flower pot coral?

look like this?? if so I have this coral, seems pretty easy for me, but from what I read it is supposed to not live all that long. Mine has lost about 2/3 the tenticals after 8 months

dburr

Not a flowerpot. When it is open it looks like a smooth mushroom w/ hairs around the edge!!!! And when it closes it not like a mushroom moving slowly, it snaps shut into a ball shape. sssoooo cooool :cool:

misty927

Actually...we had something very similar to what you are describing. We went to the lfs one day and saw the same type of anemone we had in our tank in one of theirs they said it was aptasia. It was about the size of a dime and was reddish brown in color with white specks on the tips...almost like a sebae. And just like you described...it would roll up into a little ball. It looks very similar to the flower anemone, but the flower doesn't usually have the white specks on its tips...at least in all of the pictures I've seen. You might want to check and see if it's the pesky aptasia...your little anemone might prove to be not such a treasure after all. For example, the flower anemone is at the link on top, the large aptasia is located at the link on bottom...strikingly similar, eh??
Flower Anemone
Aptasia
[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: misty927 ]

ebeckels

my flower anemone looks a little different...it's definitely a flower anemone...mine never really closes...it closed when i moved him to a qurantine tank but reopened once i put him in a a tank...now that he is in his permanent home he is always open and healthy.
-Eric

marinelover

I have a flower anenome and it is the hardiest thing in my tank. It has never moved from the spot i put it in when i got it about 5 months ago. When I turn the light on in the morning it opens up and stays that way all day. When it is closed it looks like a white ball with pink poka-dots. When open it looks like you described. My only probelm with it is, when I move the tank I dont know how to move him b/c he has attached himself very firmly to the bottom under the gravel. You should not have any major problems with him.

edwar050

To move a rock anemone you can use many things. I like using a credit card going slow while scooping underneath its foot. If you damage the foot there is a really high probability that it won't make it.