Anybody interested in posting up some Holiday Recipes?

cindyski

Originally posted by saltymom
if you wanna make YUMMY sweet potatoes... get down the veggie isle at walmart asap or it will likely alll be gone.. and get UNKLE WILEYS sweet potatoe seasonings... ya add butter n sugar...and the package ingredients...and u do it ONTOP the stove..thats the best part! Combines the classic taste of fresh brown sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to make it quick and simple to prepare delicious sweet potato and yam dishes.
This is the BEST yummiest way I have ever had sweet potatos Beth... my intire family makes me make them now!! LOL
if u miss out and cant find at the store u can buy it online
http://www.unclewileys.com/products/

thanks for the tip, i just picked up a box to try it out :joy:

T

tizzo

Better yet, everyone just prepare your recipes and send them to me and I will let you know if they are deemable for postage.
Good idea Beth, get everyone else to cook!!
I have this one, real easy, REAL good.
Wrap apple slices in Pilsbury crescent rolls, dump a can of Mountain dew in the pan, add a little cinnamon. Bake I don't know...350 for 12 minutes?? Apples are mushy though. Sounds wierd, tastes great!!

T

tizzo

Oh and for goodness sake, if you follow the recipe on the back of the Bruce's pumpkin pie ix, cut the amount of evaporated milk in half. Firmer pie, not so soggy. Real good. Never liked the average pumpkin slush...

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by Tizzo
Better yet, everyone just prepare your recipes and send them to me and I will let you know if they are deemable for postage.

Now you're talking, girl! You all need to just send me a sample of everything! :D
Ok, what about the Turkey, and special outstanding receipes?

neoreef

The Bird in the Bag is the only way to go. We use an oven cooking bag. Browns up nicely, moist and flavorful meat and all the juice for the gravy is in the bag. also cooks quicker!

dskidmore

Originally posted by Mukiwa
I most likely eat different foods than you because I am from South Africa but have any of you eaten Pumpkin as vegetable? not as I pie....That is what my mom does

My mother used butternut squash and pumpkin interchangably. We had squash pie, oatmeal squash cookies. I assume the reverse works as well? Boil the pumpkin chunks and mash them with some butter?
What are you all using recipies for? You go to the store, buy meat, veggies, spices and flour, cook it all up and wait for your friends to hand out the complements!
Seriously, this is what passes for a recipie in my house:
Fry up a handful of almond slivers in an equal ammount of butter. (6 T of each will do.) Boil a bag of frenched green beans with some spices. (Either sage, dill, or pultry seasoning will work, sage is my favorite, but some of my friends prefer I make it with dill.) Drain beans, mix with nuts and butter, serve.
I usually make bread every year for Thanksgiving, even if I'm traveling, that one's a real recipie, but I don't want to have to type it all in.
As for turkey, I do it the really hard way: Cook 3/4 through

[hr]
down, then flip

[hr]
side up. It will come out really jucy and nicely browned on the top, but the flipping part is difficult and dangerous.
I've also heard of techniques involving covering the turkey with an herb butter soaked piece of cheesecloth, I may try that some year.

saltymom

Originally posted by DSkidmore
I've also heard of techniques involving covering the turkey with an herb butter soaked piece of cheesecloth, I may try that some year.
[/QUOTE
Now, that does sound yummy.
The very best turkey I EVER ate was at my Uncle Rogers house..the first year that it was popular to DEEP FRY the turkey.. He made not one but THREE turkeys that year for dinner..with the injected marinade stuff..and it was DELICIOUS. there was nothing left but three large piles of bird bones! LOL

lovethesea

This is YUMMY...and easy. If you don't like coconut, you can leave out.
Company Sweet Potatoes
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (I use canned)
1 cup sugar
½ cup milk
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup chopped pecans
Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Spoon into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Combine coconut, brown sugar, flour, 1/3 cup melted butter, and pecans, mixing well. Sprinkle over top of sweet potatoes. Bake at 375F. for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
If served during the holdiays, there are no calories.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, since I am partly of Cuban heretiage, I have always fixed the Turkey Cuban-style.
First, you prep the night before with a mixture, of fresh limes, lemon, and sour organge juices [about 3 cups]. Mix in the juice several onions, lots of fresh garlic, fresh peper and a bit [to taste] of vinger. Now you have your "mojo". Here is another sample receipe for mojo"
Mojo
Now, you get the Butterball that has the basting solution added. Thaw, of course. Punch holes into the turkey so that the mojo can get in to the bird. Also stuff the turkey with slices of real butter. Put it under the skin, open up holes in the turkey and incert it etc.
Cut up some more onions, chives, garlic, whatever veggie you like, and just spread it over the turkey and stuff the cavity with all this [instead of stuffing]. Pour the mojo on the turkey and within the cavity. Get as much of it under the skin that you can. Let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
Next day when you are ready to cook, wrap up the leg joints to prevent burning, cover the bird loosely with foil and in the oven it goes at 350. Baste the bird about every 20 mins.
When the bird is done, you can remove the foil and cook a bit more if necessary. You want to achive a nice golden glaze over the turkey.
This style turkey cooking can not have stuffing in the bird because of all the citrus juices used, but you can certainly cook a nice cornbread stuffing that goes very well with the receipe.
I guarantee you all, that you will love this receipe if you try it!

lovethesea

that sounds good. Does the end result taste spicy? Or Citrus?
I like the sound of the fruit, and I guess you adjust the onions and garlic to taste without ruining it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is lemony. LIke lemon seasoned chicken, only better. Very tasty and retains juices. Well, it basically sits in this juice for quite awhile so the turkey is very moist, not dry as it tends to be.
It needs a lot of onions and garlic. So if you don't like onions and garlic, this is not the receipe for you. I use probably 4 onions and about 3 cloves of garlic.

bostonpro

I have a very simple corn recipe.... it's delicious. Boil in pan on stove, 1 bag of frozen corn. Drain water after cooked. Add one stick oleo and 1 8oz package of cream cheese. Heat until all is melted. Really good.

cindyski

i saw this on foood network. it looked really good.
2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

cindyski

i have been seeng tons of stuffing/dressing recipies, but i have not seen one yet like our family's so i will share with you :)
we dont measure so this is kinda hard for me
1 stick butter
1 onion pealed cut into 1/4-inch dice
6 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 apple any kind peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch dice
(you can use as much or as little of the onion, celery and apple to your taste)
4 cups milk
4-6 eggs
2 loaves stale bread any kind, (mix-match i have thrown a little rye in or even stale buns, etc...) crust on, torn in pieces in a large bowl.
salt and pepper to taste
poultry seasoning
tear up your bread into the large bowl
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions, celery & apple and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add poultry sesoning ( i just sprinkle it all over so everything has a light coating) stir to combine, and cook until vegies are beginning to get soft.
pour this mixture over the bread, add milk and eggs and more poultry seasoning to your taste
and get your hands in that bowl and smush it up!!!
it should be of a slightly soupy consistancy so you can adjust your milk, egg & bread accordingly.
stuff turkey or bake seperatly until a golden brown

cindyski

Originally posted by saltymom
Originally posted by CindySki

thanks for the tip, i just picked up a box to try it out :joy:
[/QUOTE
Cindy!! Yer welcome!!
! Let me know if ya love it! :)
yep it was very good! thanks :joy: