Anybody know about Wavepoint T5 lighting?

gio28

I was looking around for a suitable retrofit fixture for my 36 bowfront to replace my 150watt MH i have on it now. I came across Wavepoint (relatively new brand i think?) and there isn't a whole lot about this brand to review how good their products are. I did find, however, that one guy on another forum has a PAR meter and said that the wavepoint bulbs have the same, if not more, PAR than ATI and other top T5 bulb brands. I wanted to get the 4X24watt bulb retro to mount in my canopy over my tank. It comes with two of their 12,000 K bulbs and two of their bluewave actinic bulbs. Anyone have any input in terms of how good this brands bulbs are and if 4 24watt bulbs over a 36gallon is enough for mostly SPS, LPS, and a clam? My LFS said 4 bulbs are good for just about anything...as long as the reflectors are good and all.

nikesb

i do like the coloration of some of their bulbs but i believe you the par numbers were far less than ATI. if you could pm me the link to the forum, id love to read about it. The last testing from someone with a good reputation showed that it was substantially far less than ati bulbs. As for the brand itself, its an ok brand, like current usa. if you're choosing the retro why not go with tek 2 retro fits? they give good reflection for a decent price. and yes 4 bulbs are good for anything, you just have to place them at the correct hieght in a 36 gallon. the clam would NEED to be in the rocks. The only way you would be able to keep him in the sand is if you used a ATI fixture. SPS would need to be in the upper 1/3 and montis could be in the upper 2/3

gio28

thanks for the reply. I dont remember exactly what forum but it can't be that hard to find again...I will look for it cause I was meaning to do some more comparisons with other brands anyways. I'll pm you the link if I come across it again.
I was looking at the tek 2 retros and the problem is that the reflectors are kinda wide...so i could only fit 3 in my canopy...but i've heard from several people that they are great.

nikesb

Originally Posted by gio28
http:///forum/post/3277894
thanks for the reply. I dont remember exactly what forum but it can't be that hard to find again...I will look for it cause I was meaning to do some more comparisons with other brands anyways. I'll pm you the link if I come across it again.
I was looking at the tek 2 retros and the problem is that the reflectors are kinda wide...so i could only fit 3 in my canopy...but i've heard from several people that they are great.
The width helps give off good reflection. I believe the wavepoints are close to current, and its just not as strong.
other good choices would be reefgeek/aqua illumination reflectors or aquactinic's reflectors. the test shows that reefgeek's reflectors are far better than aquactinics which would be the next best. reefgeek's are close to performance to ati's reflectors

nycbob

call george from reefgeek.com. tell him what u r trying to set up, and he will give u recommedation.