Anybody know what this is?

perfectdark

What else are you running besides a skimmer?
Never mind I saw.. your only running a skimmer which is IMO what your prb is. If I were you I would pick up a decent size HOB filter, use the sponge in it.
The next time you do a water change take your power head and blow everything around or suck off the top of your SB and blow off your LR with the power head. The HOB Filter will pick up all these particulates and catch them in your media.
Your should have your power heads aimed in such a way that your SB has flow over it so this build up cannot get out of control.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by elton092982
http:///forum/post/2557228
? y would that be alot i notice people feeding 2 times a day on these boards
i have hungry folks so food doesnt sit long.
The people that feed more often with out issues have larger systems, more filtration, or just haven't started with issues yet.

Fish will over eat.

Also, what was your gallons per hour?
If you only want to use LR and a skimmer you will need to have a lot of circulation going through the rocks and really watch your wastes.

elton092982

Yea I don't use brine anymore just frozen mysis , formula 2 flakes , and krill even though that stuff sucks cus it always floats and i have to crumble into a million pieces to get it below the water surface. Also my brittle star does an excellent job cleaning anything that hits the sand so even if it were a food overdose I doubt that would be the cause.

mcbdz

http:///forum/post/2557241
Yea I don't use brine anymore just frozen mysis , formula 2 flakes , and krill even though that stuff sucks cus it always floats and i have to crumble into a million pieces to get it below the water surface. Also my brittle star does an excellent job cleaning anything that hits the sand so even if it were a food overdose I doubt that would be the cause.
It is the PRODUCT of food.(poo
)

elton092982

The reason I'm only running a skimmer now is because I used to have an overflow with a 10 gal tank underneath but after a few incidents I finnaly relaized why my tank was overflowing with water. The sponge on the overflow would cause the water not to drop and in case make the tank overflow when I wasn't home. Add the fact that the floor was a little off leveled I said

[hr]
it and dont want to hear my folks complain anymore about there ceiling down below with water spots. So I removed the whole overflow system and just kept the skimmer. I'm starting to think the issue is like what Perfect dark is reffering to with that filter floss. Cus even though I had that little sponge it did pick up debris and now since I dont have any type of sponge I think that might be what I need.

spanko

Not PD but you can try the Aqua Clears. A lot of people use them and some have even converted them to fuges.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2557265
Not PD but you can try the Aqua Clears. A lot of people use them and some have even converted them to fuges.

+1 thats what I have... I am using an Aqua Clear 300 which is now called Aquaclear 70. Its rated for up to a 70 gal tank, and I had it on a 30gal. They are only about $35.00 or so. If you up it to a 110 they use these as HOB Refugeums.

teresaq

prob max jet 1200s. I hope.

You can pick up a hang on back filter at walmart. Or look in the classifieds here. they are pretty inexpensive, and will help your problem alot.
you can also use them to run carbon or renew which will help also.
T

elton092982

yea sorry thanks teresa its max jet 1200s and the tanks a 40 I just bought a filter yesterday so im hoping this does the trick

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2560428
yea sorry thanks teresa its max jet 1200s and the tanks a 40 I just bought a filter yesterday so im hoping this does the trick

You have about 15X turn over, not bad, 20X would be better and with the addition of your filter you may be right there. I would however point those powerheads more at your sand bed to help churn things up a bit and get it filtered out.

michaeltx

thats what I was going to add. you can have great flow but if its not pointed right then the lower flow areas will collect the deterious and wont be able to pul it out.
Mike

elton092982

Thanks PD I bought the Aquaclear 50 only downfall is one of the pumps crapped out and I had a replacement one at home that I belive I got at the big W lol which doesnt have the force that the maxjet did so that flow rate might be off again.