Anybody ride bikes? (motorcycles)

zsalinas

Well, with the price of gas going up and driving a lot I'm really interested in getting a bike. My car is terrible on gas. I just want to know what people ride and what they like. I want to know some pros and cons or just any info that would help me make a decision on what to get. Currently I'm looking around but really like the Kawasaki zx6r. I'm keeping my eyes open though. Thanks!

tangman99

Well, I ride but I don't commute. Simply for pleasure. I won't preach to you about buying a fast bike if you are not experienced but you need to seriously think about it. I may have misinterpreted that, but it appears this would be your first bike. Let's see:
Pros: Tons of excitement and amazingly fun
Cons: You can die very easily. I knew 5 guys in my town alone that died last year.
I putt around on a 2006 Honda 1000RR

aw2x3

I had a 2001 Ducati 748 and was in love!
If it's your first bike, check into the Honda CBR600F4i...great starter bike and still plenty fast. Plus, it wont break the bank.
I'm been thinking about another bike, too and although I'd love to have another Ducati, I'm thinking of going for the Honda 1000RR.

tangman99

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I had a 2001 Ducati 748 and was in love!
If it's your first bike, check into the Honda CBR600F4i...great starter bike and still plenty fast. Plus, it wont break the bank.
I'm been thinking about another bike, too and although I'd love to have another Ducati, I'm thinking of going for the Honda 1000RR.
Wise words! I already had previous motorcycle experience but not sportbikes and I started with an F4i. Great bike. It is plenty fast and very comfortable for commuting. The more aggresive models like the 1000RR are not as comfortable. More aggressive riding position. But it does toast the F4i in every way.

ifirefight

Heres mine...Ride cause you like it..not because you want to save gas...Bikes are more dangerous than cars...just dont ride like an idiot. Ive scraped up a few in my line of work,but it does not stop me from enjoying the open road. :cheer: Your either a biker or not......but there are LOTS of people that have bikes,that have NO business riding them.

compjtc

If you are serious about wanting something to commute with you may consider a cruiser rather than a sport bike. They are a lot more comfortable for distances and with saddlebags they can hold a small amount of stuff, like a lunch or something.
Here's my second (and current) bike. I love it, and get about 55 mpg with it :)

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Heres mine...Ride cause you like it..not because you want to save gas...Bikes are more dangerous than cars...just dont ride like an idiot.
Very well stated! Ride cause you like it. If your not comfortable on a bike, it don't matter how much money you save in gas, you will dread every mile. If you wanna know if riding is your thing, buy a small, used cheap bike. If you love it, if you can't wait to get back out, if you understand the risks and are a pretty cautious driver, then buy something new and exciting.
Otherwise, look at a hybrid.
Riding is a hobby, a passion, an obsession, kinda like our tanks. If you have the obsession, then you will get a bike, but if you find out you don't have it after you buy, then hopefully money is the only thing you wasted.

tangman99

I just can't stand to commute on my bike. I've done it a few times out of necessity, but there are so many idiots out there talking on cellphones, eating breakfast and getting dressed, you are definitely taking your life in your own hands. I ride on the weekends when the pace is slower on the roads. No one trying to get to work and I pick where I ride. I ride VERY spirited where I ride and typically break 160 on every ride, and believe it or not, I feel safer doing that than riding in rush hour traffic.

dual45s

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Riding is a hobby, a passion, an obsession, kinda like our tanks. If you have the obsession, then you will get a bike...
Actually, I'd say your first sentence was true for me, but mine took the exact same route my tank has. I want bigger, better, and have become obsessed. But unlike my tank, the bike is back home in the garage in Milwaukee as there's no place for it while I'm in an apartment.

zsalinas

Sorry I haven't responded to anybody lately been busy. Well no matter what bike I got it wouldn't be just for gas reasons. I've wanted a bike forever. I've rode a few bikes and absolutely love it. I would say I have close to no experience. I've rode a handfull of times on friends r6's and cbr600 and I liked them alot. I know how to drive them but have never tested the limits of a bike or anything. Probably got up to 80mph at most. The gas thing is just kind of pushing me over the edge to getting one. I don't want anything super fast at first which is why I was lookin at the zx6r. I want to start out smaller then when I get more experience move up. The r6 I drove was way comfortable. I didn't like the hondas very much my hips felt uncomfortable. It wasn't a newer one though so I'm not sure. I've sat on the zx6r and liked the way it felt.
Oh yeah I won't be commuting. My drive to work is like 10 minutes. I do drive to a city about 25 min from my house 4-5 days a week so for that it would be especially nice.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Zsalinas
I didn't like the hondas very much my hips felt uncomfortable.

Hahahaha, TM... Oh...
(been a while)
Anyway, my last bike was an R6, and like you said it was one of the comfiest things I've ever ridden. When I got it, my little bro liked it so much he went out and traded a his Kow for the R1. Easy to handle and light as a feather.
Don't know about the honda's since I never could touch the ground on one...

My current is a GSX-R. It's a 750, but they make the 600's also. Real happy with that one also.
It is like a tank in that you'll want bigger and better, but you'd do best, as you stated yourself, by starting off small and gradually getting bigger ones. I just rode my friend's Busa, this past week and as comfy as I feel on my own bike, I felt like a new rider on his!! I thought, if you just don't give it as much throttle then you should be fine, but it doesn't work like that. Those bikes are made for the throttle, designed for optimum performance under a hard throttle. So yeah, start off small and work your way up.
I would look for a used bike. A lot of people buy around now, and when they get it home their wives/mother/ GF won't have it and the say "yes dear" and sell it, LOL
Keep us posted though, now I'm interested in what your gonna do.

zsalinas

Yeah I'm 5'10'' and I like to be able to touch the ground lol. I do like the gsx-r's also I haven't had the chance to sit or ride one yet. I do like the way they look and I've only heard good things about them. I can't even imagine riding a busa that's a big bike ha ha. I'm looking used right now. Surprisingly enough there's not very many options in my area. I'm just gonna keep my eyes open.
I'm excited though I really want one. I'm the type of person who always wears a helmet and things like that. I grew up riding 3 wheelers and on to 4 wheelers etc. I know it's not always me and my driving I need to worry about it's all the other drivers who drive like retards. That's the scary part.

T

tizzo

WEll, if your 5'10", you should be OK on anything, since I am only 5'2" I have a hard time finding a bike built stock that I can use... Even my R6 had to be lowered.
The Kow has made some serious improvements in the past few years, some hate it, I love it. But right now, I love my GSX-R.

Can't wait to upgrade, but it'll be a while.

tangman99

Hi Tizzo

Tizzo is right about the bigger bikes. They are a lot different than the 600s. The 600s usually require you to keep the RPMs up high to keep the powerband in play so they are much more manageable on the throttle. The liters (and busas of which I am not a fan at all) will get you in trouble really fast. You twist the throttle on these and the front end leaves the ground. Two of the biggest areas where people get in trouble with these are passing and aggresive cornering. I've had my heart in my throat in both situations and I'm a very spirited rider.
When passing, when you go to change lanes, you have the bike in a left lean and you give it too much throttle. Your front wheel leaves the ground and the bike will then straighten out but your wheel is not straight and will get worse and you are now headed to the other side of the road. You have a split second to get it down before crossing the road and leaving it. At the same time if you slam it down with the wheel crooked, you can go into a tank slapper which is usually going to pitch you. You need to get it down quick with the front wheel straight and then straighten out your direction.
The second is coming out of a corner. To properly corner a sportbike, you need to apply throttle to keep about a 60% weight distributed to the back of the bike. There's a reason the rear tire is much wider. With a liter, it's very easy to overpower the throttle and break the rear wheel loose causing it to slide out from under you. If you handle it properly, you don't panic, keep off the breaks and let the tire regain traction. If you panic you either low side (if you are lucky) or you severely disrupt the suspension causing it to pitch or slam you into a high side.
If you don't think they have twitchy throttles, do you ever watch the show Pinks? Well Rich who says he has been riding motorcyles since he was 5 year old jumps on a Suzuki GSX-1000. When he says "Is it fast", it's a clue he's in trouble.
Neither of these is fun and will usually result in an early return home to swap out the underwear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9kPWMAnIgc
But I get carried away. Yeah, look for a used bike also. You can find good deals out there if you look.
Good luck and take the course if you haven't already.

dual45s

I nearly high-sided because I was impatient and it was mind-numbingly terrifying. I had left work and had to turn onto a pretty busy road, and at that particular moment the corner I was taking off from had been subjected to a day's worth of construction. Basically I was leaving from sand onto a road that had few breaks in the traffic. Cars were piling up behind me and (like an idiot) I tried to fit into a space I shouldn't have, back tire spun as I turned right out onto the street, torquing my wheels out of a straight line, once the back tire hit pavement and caught, I was abruptly shot up and almost over into an oncoming car. Talk about heart in your throat. I wouldn't call myself an expert rider, but seasoned, and made an incredibly stupid mistake. I was also riding a 600, so don't think that if you're on less than a liter you're safe.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by TangMan99
When he says "Is it fast", it's a clue he's in trouble.
Neither of these is fun and will usually result in an early return home to swap out the underwear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9kPWMAnIgc
This is where that "jaw dropping smiley" would fit real nice...
Looks like he gave it full throttle while holding in the clutch. He shoulda never let go of the clutch... Short sleeves too...ouch!!
See...5 second ride zsalinas...save money for a good helmet.
You will lay the bike down. It's inevitable, it will happen. Just be prepared for when it does.
Take Duals experience. "Just cause you on a small vehicle, don't mean you should drive between the cars"... I feel like a lecturing mom...

zsalinas

Ha Ha I'd hope I don't lay the bike down but since you say it's gonna happen I want to be safe. I don't underestimate the bikes at all. I think what I'll be more afraid of is when I get comfortable with the bike I might tend to push the limits of the bike and that'll probably be when I lay it down lol. Right now it's all so new that I wouldn't try to drive it aggressively or anything. Oh yeah and you're not a lecturing mom all the info helps lol.

T

tizzo

I actually laid mine down when I was a newer rider... Stupid, stupid stupid!! I don't care WHO tells you the back brakes are useless and you don't need them...don't believe it.

Oh and change out your tires BEFORE they get a chance to dryrot...
Yeah... Riding is fun. Have you checked out the local dealers? Some times they have awesome specials!

J

jrthomas40

i want a bike too...so i am thinking about a TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675...brand new cost about 9g...not hardly anyone has one but i hear they are good bikes so it would be differnt and a little older model can the price way down

earlybird

I'm not big on bikes as I think they are pointless in Florida as there are no hills or fun roads. Not to mention crazy thunderstorms that come out of nowhere this time of year.