anybody running Ozonizers?

T

thomas712

Run it during the daytime only, this will give the plankton a chance to swim and live during the evening.
Run it through your protien skimmer.
Run the discharge water through carbon to pick up any 03 that might still be in the water.
What brand did you get?
Thomas

tony detroit

I got the red sea delux with controller and probe. I was just going to run it 24/7 on the controller. I have it going into the skimmer, orp is around 320 when I just got home from work. The skimmate is clear almost. Many corals have significantly opened up more, my mushrooms are the size of half dollars now, where yesterday they were to size of quarters. The candy cane frag I have is much more bubbly today too. I wonder what it'll look like in a month after consistently being in better quality water? So far I'm impressed and it won't even be 24 hrs. yet for a few more hours.

tony detroit

The strange thing is the air dryer beads are halfway pink already by the inlet side. Thomas, how long do you usually go before recharging?

T

thomas712

If your running filter floss I think that you will find that you have to change it more often, mine seemed to get dirty much quicker. Skimmate seemed to collect more often in the skimmer column and had to be cleaned more.
Thomas

cincyreefer

How much ozone are you injecting right now? As you know, we run ours 24/7 as well. Where did you run the probe to test ORP? Also, your skimmate will probably turn a more crusty. I have to scrape it off our skimmer with a razor, but it will be interesting to see what happens with yours. One suggestion I do have is to run the return water over filter floss after the carbon. It will probably catch an incredible amount of dead organics.
edit- must have been typing with Thomas :)

tony detroit

Yes, I continually run carbon. I am also running it in the skimmer collection cut to knock out smell. I am injecting 40mg/hr right now, on and off with the controller. The probe is in a high flow area in the sump so no algae will affect its performance.
Just wishing I had a bigger cabinet now, all these toys, ballasts, reactor bottle, reactor are all starting to take up all the space. As soon as I open up the doors to the cabinet you can feel this woosh of heat come out.

cincyreefer

Ozone advantages are actually rather basic, while the implementation and use isn't as easy. Ozone is an unstable ion with a very strong oxidizing ability. When you run it through a skimmer, it will basically oxidize anything it comes into contact with. This is very useful in helping to control nutrients that might contribute to algae growth. The main downside is that the ozone will usually kill any plankton that happens to run through the skimmer.