Anybody use the Peticure nail trimmer?

nordy

After my dogs "Emergency Vet Visit Tonight" early this week, I realize that I really need to trim my dogs nails (they are indeed too long) but after cutting my old dogs nails too close a few times, I am kinda scared to cut to the quick again. It didn't seem to bother my old dog too awful much, but boy I hated to see all the blood and the thought of causing my new baby pain just bothers me.
Seen on TV and on the web the rotary tool that claims to be a "painless" way to safely trim your dogs nails-does anybody have experience with this product? Does it work the way they say it does? My dog trusts me and is pretty easy going so I don't worry about her letting me use the tool on her, but does it work and is it a good alternative to using regular dog nail trimmers?
Thanks for your thoughts on this subject!

hlcroghan

i have never used this but my mother had a show doberman and she used a dremmel on her nails. i will say that it takes a long time for them to get used to the vibration. they hate it at first. it is better to start when they are small puppies. so if you have one now i would say go for it.

nordy

The Peticure is kinda like a Dremel-very high speed but not much torque. I like the way it looks 'cause it seems to keep ya from cutting too deep. I have a Dremel but am interested in just how the Peticure does work.

T

tizzo

I cut the excess then use a dremel also.
The Peticure looks to me like a dremel with a safety guard is all...

texasmetal

Dremmel's not really any better than the clippers as far as comfort goes. Produces quite a bit of heat.
My dogs run when they see the clippers. We're tempted to try this thing out too. Let us know how it goes.

sepulatian

I have seen this too. I am interested in how well it works. My Jack's nails I cut easily. His nails are white with pink. I can tell how far back is too close. My other dog has black nails. I am always so scared to clip hers. The nails are so darn sharp after a clipping too. This says it smooths them rather than leaving sharp edges.

darthtang aw

Take it from the guy that owns a grooming business, it is nothing but a fancy dremel. The dremel is no more "comfortable" than nail clippers. If you truly want to splurge on a nail device there is a nail trimmer that tells you were the quick starts on the market now. It is pricey but you won't cut your dogs anymore. To be honest if you are that concerned you can take them down to your local groomer to so this. Should only run you 10 dollars.
In the event you trim yourself and you do make the dog bleed, corn starch or flour will work in a pinch to clot up the bleeding. There is a septic powder you can by also which does the same thing and will numb the pain in the vein at the same time.

al mc

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2724420
Take it from the guy that owns a grooming business, it is nothing but a fancy dremel. The dremel is no more "comfortable" than nail clippers. If you truly want to splurge on a nail device there is a nail trimmer that tells you were the quick starts on the market now. It is pricey but you won't cut your dogs anymore. To be honest if you are that concerned you can take them down to your local groomer to so this. Should only run you 10 dollars.
In the event you trim yourself and you do make the dog bleed, corn starch or flour will work in a pinch to clot up the bleeding. There is a septic powder you can by also which does the same thing and will numb the pain in the vein at the same time.
Quik-stop is the best product I have found to stop a nail that has been cut too short from bleeding. You can get it at virtually any pet store. My favorite 'at home' product to stop bleeding is corn starch.
IMHO, if you have a dremel..use it..before buying the product, or ones like them, mentioned the the 'op'. Just dial down the speed. I know many breeders/groomers who use a dremel. Personally, I only use one when I have a patient that is already under anesthesia for another procedure. Reason: If you 'grind' too far not only will you get bleeding (that will be cauterized by the dremel), but you also are aggravating/injuring the nerve.....in other words..it hurts.

mimzy

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2724420
+1 on all of it.
Also, if your dog ever needs to be under anesthesia or sedation for any reason (dental cleaning, bloodwork, etc), it is a perfect opportunity to have your vet dremel the dog's nails short as possible. dremelling DOES hurt, and the sound is often frightening to them if they have not been trained since puppyhood to endure it.

kwpgrooming

I groom dogs for a living & I dremel all my clients nails. It does not hurt if it is done right. It only causes heat if it is held on the nail for a long time. Even the dogs that freak out for nail clippers will let me dremel once they get use to the noise. Dogs have to learn to trust that you won't hurt them. They won't like any nail trimming if their nails get quicked all the time.