Anyone a health insurance wiz?

tangman99

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3239907
That is my understanding of it as well. The highlights being on an HMO that they're paid on an enrollment basis not a per visit basis. You need referals for everything not covered by your primary care physician. And finding a doctor can be difficult, since they're not profitable.
You are correct Sir! Let me very clear if you have an HMO. They are ok if you are relatively healthy but if you ever feel your doctor is neglecting something and you are covered by and HMO, listen to your insticts. If you ask for a referral and they refuse to give you one, ask them to explain why and let them know that you understand how the system works around HMO and referrals. Most doctors will do more for you if they know that you know how the HMO system works. Keep two important facts in mine (again unless they have changed).
1. They are paid by the number of members that they are a primary physician
2. They get penalized for too many referrals.
Honestly, people have died because they had an HMO. All it takes if for one physician to not refer somemone and they fail to get a test that if received timely could have saved their life. I'm not saying all HMO doctor's are like this but if you know what to look for, it won't take but once or twice for you to recognized them.

oscardeuce

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/3240114
You are correct Sir! Let me very clear if you have an HMO. They are ok if you are relatively healthy but if you ever feel your doctor is neglecting something and you are covered by and HMO, listen to your insticts. If you ask for a referral and they refuse to give you one, ask them to explain why and let them know that you understand how the system works around HMO and referrals. Most doctors will do more for you if they know that you know how the HMO system works. Keep two important facts in mine (again unless they have changed).
1. They are paid by the number of members that they are a primary physician
2. They get penalized for too many referrals.
Honestly, people have died because they had an HMO. All it takes if for one physician to not refer somemone and they fail to get a test that if received timely could have saved their life. I'm not saying all HMO doctor's are like this but if you know what to look for, it won't take but once or twice for you to recognized them.
People have also died because they did not take the advice of their physician.
No plan is perfect, in fact medicare has a higher PERCENTAGE of denials than private insurers.
What about the current gov't push to move the mammogram age to 50, that's not coming from the HMO's, or the insurance companies, that's Obamacare.
What about that Canadian gov't offical who came to Florida recently for life saving heart surgery. Why did he not get it in the Mecca of socialized medicine?

reefraff

I have the worst of both worlds, a Medicare HMO

Most the people I have known that were in HMO's for any length of time say they are better than they were years ago. I remember hearing horror stories about Kaiser I think it was. Sounds like they got their act together.
I was in a couple HMO's back in the 80's and they weren't that bad even back then. Then again from 1969 until 1996 I only went to the doctor one time and that was just for a routine check up so I probably aint a really good judge
But the wife and kid did use them and it seemed to work pretty well.

uneverno

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3239857
I don't want to pollute the thread with politics but I wont let this kind of rubbish go unanswered.
My comment is based on personal experience, as is yours.
That our experiences are different does not make mine rubbish any more than it makes yours valid.
W/ regard to the OP, and again - in my experience - HMO's are more difficult to deal with than PPO's. Doctors, at least here in CA, are beginning to opt out of HMO's because they are too beaurocratic in terms of what the Dr. is [allowed to/restricted from] doing in the best interests of his/her patient.
IME (having had a life threatening illness myself), the less expensive the policy is, the less Drs. accept the plan. This is because cheaper policies constrain physicians (to a point where they are uncomfortable - both morally and financially) from doing all they could to properly treat their patients.
Again, I am basing this on my personal experience, i.e. what my Doctors have told me. Laws and policies vary from state to state, however. Your mileage will likely vary.
I would look into this very carefully because, having separate policies, the likelyhood is that whichever policy costs whichever insurance company less is the one you'll be forced to use. Again, IME, if you have coverage through separate policies, the companies will fight it out to your disadvantage.

shwstpr88

Good news everyone the doctor she wants takes her HMO sooo.... this preganancy is gonna be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

My PPO while you gete more freedonm could have costed up to 2500 but I was very happy to see her OBGYN take the HMO yaaay!

reefraff

Originally Posted by shwstpr88
http:///forum/post/3240377
Good news everyone the doctor she wants takes her HMO sooo.... this preganancy is gonna be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

My PPO while you gete more freedonm could have costed up to 2500 but I was very happy to see her OBGYN take the HMO yaaay!
Very cool but not to kick your smileys in the grapes but have you checked pediatricians yet? Plan ahead. I suspect once the kid is born you get to choose which plan the lil goober will get coverage under. Hopefully the HMO will have a good one too.

tangman99

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3240388
Very cool but not to kick your smileys in the grapes but have you checked pediatricians yet? Plan ahead. I suspect once the kid is born you get to choose which plan the lil goober will get coverage under. Hopefully the HMO will have a good one too.
That is cool. Yes, you should be able to choose either one then as that is a life changing event and does not require an open enrollment period.