anyone adding active carbon inside of a Bakpak2r??

Ive got a 46 gal with 3.5 base of L/S and 49.5lbs of L/R 2 maxi-jet 900 and 1 maxi1200
a cpr BakPak2r 1 Toamtoe Clow 3.5 in&Anemone
1 Antennata 3in 1 naso Tang 4.5in 1 Butterfly fish 4.5 1 Coral Beauty 3in 1Cleaner wrasse 1Manderine. My question is has anyone or (could I -should I) use activated carbon in the chamber of my CPR Bak Pak 2r?? Ive seen it done at a tank in my local Bank just wondering the purpose

S

slk3599

I put carbon in a mesh bag than stick it in the second chamber of the CPR. Activated carbon with clear up "yellow" or dull water and make it look sparkeling clean :)

S

slk3599

I use about a half or 3/4 of a cup and put it in the chamber with the bio bale.

Thanks Susan, I think Ive got it right. The 2r doesnt call for bio-bail but I saw where it goes in the Bak-Pak 2 and put it there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Carbon is a mechanical cleaning agent helping to remove organic pollutents from the water...and it does a very good job at doing this too. Carbon, however, remains active and useful for this purpose for only about 2 weeks. Following the 2 weeks, you should change it if you want to continue the mechanical filtration. Otherwise it will basically become a biological filter media.

tonka

Also as Beth said Carbon does such a good job, that it also removes the good stuff. IMO I would just use it occasionally not all the time. Or just use it when you need it.