Anyone been stung by a lionfish?

fishylisa

I'd like to know if you have been stung by a loinfish and what was the outcome of the sting? not to sound stupid I'm sure it hurt but was it like a bee sting or much worse?.....My husband wants one and I'm kinda scared or the dang thing....Thanks in advance.

groupergenius

Everybody reacts different to bites and stings. Some folks get stung by bees and die.

I have been hit by a Lion before and it does hurt. I was 14 or 15 at the time and wanted a Lion so bad. My folks finally got me one and when I got stung, I never said a word. I knew they would take it back. It hurt enough to make me puke, I remember that.

fishylisa

Wow see you lost me on the puking part that's pretty painful when you get sick from the pain......I was telling him this morning that he could have but I would NOT be putting my hands in there at all, I love the way they look.

srfisher17

It was worse than a bad wasp, scared me more than anything. Almost always, stings are the result of carelessness, not the lion coming after you. If they really scare you, I wouldn't get one;you'll knock your tank over jerking your hand out of the way every time the lion moves.

tywtly13

I was stung by a very small lion once. It wasn't very bad, but it did hurt. It swelled up and got really tender and stuff, aand I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by tywtly13
I was stung by a very small lion once. It wasn't very bad, but it did hurt. It swelled up and got really tender and stuff, aand I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics.
It was my full grown volitan that got me (then Katrina got him). I was talking and looking the other way and just bumped him. I went to the ER and they called poison control and then gave me the antibiotics and a tetanus shot; then about 6 hours of soaking in the hottest water I could stand.I was diagnosed with a little heart problem a few weeks prior, and I think that helped scare me and gave me a giant adrenaline rush. Funny, when I feed mine now, he almost eats from my finger; but when I have an arm in the tank, I always have a kid watch him. I've jerked my arm (reflex, I guess) a couple times and almost wiped out lighting fixtures...the reason for the above post of mine.

I was stung before my a large voltains wheen I was taking care of it for a freind who was away on a vaction for about three weeks. I was feeding it and my hand slipped and the spines got me. I soaked my hand in some very hot water. It as incredabley painful. After a few hours, the pain began to go away.

J

jrthomas40

you should always go to a hospital after being hit by a lion...a lot of time most hits are just dry hits and if you get hit with some poison...you will need venom/poison control for some anti syrum

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
you should always go to a hospital after being hit by a lion...a lot of time most hits are just dry hits and if you get hit with some poison...you will need venom/poison control for some anti syrum
Guaranteed most hospitals wont be able to do anything for you. Most people don't even know what a lionfish is. They can give you general things like pain killers but theres no lionfish anti-venom. Going to the hospital is probably the smart thing to be safe but they really cant do much about the sting.

being hit by a lion differs for people as previously posted. It depends on how your body responds to it especially if you get poison in your blood stream. only one time ive been hit, it was when i was cleaning my tank and of course stupidly i had part of my hand by the back bottom of my LR. It drilled me in the forearm and for about 4-5 hours i felt like i wanted to cut my arm off. The pain was on and off which worried me so i got it looked at of cousre and cleaned. I would still reccomend this fish, but with caution.

tywtly13

Originally Posted by srfisher17
It was my full grown volitan that got me (then Katrina got him). I was talking and looking the other way and just bumped him. I went to the ER and they called poison control and then gave me the antibiotics and a tetanus shot; then about 6 hours of soaking in the hottest water I could stand.I was diagnosed with a little heart problem a few weeks prior, and I think that helped scare me and gave me a giant adrenaline rush. Funny, when I feed mine now, he almost eats from my finger; but when I have an arm in the tank, I always have a kid watch him. I've jerked my arm (reflex, I guess) a couple times and almost wiped out lighting fixtures...the reason for the above post of mine.
Wow, that's bad! I got lucky, I guess!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
Guaranteed most hospitals wont be able to do anything for you. Most people don't even know what a lionfish is. They can give you general things like pain killers but theres no lionfish anti-venom. Going to the hospital is probably the smart thing to be safe but they really cant do much about the sting.
Right, there is no anti-venom serum, at least when I got nailed 1n 2004.Lionfish venom can't be compared to cobra or rattlesnake venom. I would think the venom MUST be released to cause such intense pain. Poison Control recommends going to the ER, because some people can have terrible reactions to the venom and the "victim" (Hey! I finally get to be a victim!) has no way of knowing how they'll react. What the hospital does is monitor for reaction, then they can do whatever they need to; I'd think any ER would also call the Poison Control Center at once. Poison Control also says to get to the ER ASAP.
Whatever, I'll always have a lion or two around...I'm just more careful now.

scubadoo

I have only been stung once....stuck by finger in the hottest water I could stand and squeezed the area where I was stung. It hurt like hell but subsided in about an hour as I recall..but it was MANY years ago. I've been in this hobby now for 33 years and it happend in year two I beleive...just a distant memory now.

fmarini

Okay my turn.
First off lionfish and scorpionfish possess venom, they are venomous, not poisonous. Hopefully everyone knows the difference between poison and venom.
Next, lionfish venom contains primarily a large dose of acetylchoiline, and a number of secondary heat labile proteins. The reason lionfish venom does what it does is becuase it overwhelms the local nerves causing intense pain. Remember lionfish use venom as a defensive weapon, they want the harassing fish to move away. So overwhelming pain makes you move away. Unlike a snake which needs venom to paralyze and digest its prey.
Given that if you are tagged by a lionfish, immerse your hand under non scalding hot hot water for at least 30 mins, those heat labile proteins will breakdown and lessen the severity of the sting
Over the 20 yrs I've had lionfish, I've been stung 3 times. Each time by a different species. Each time my fault, usually it occured when i was cleaning the tank and spooked one of the lions who was hiding under/besides rockwork in my tank.
All hurt alot, I mean a real lot, I even made up swear words. I went to the ER the first time back in early 90s, and the doctor had no idea what a lionfish was, nor what to do. So even today if you do go to the ER, bring a printout of the animal and any info you have
frank

ophiura

I'm pleased to say that I have never been stung by a lionfish, and I have worked around many in exceedingly cramped spaces. As others mention, it is really almost always a situation of "user error" and not that the fish has come out and run into you :)
I have cleaned 10g (if that) tanks at an LFS with 2-3 small lions in it, more than once a week, for nearly 15 months. I caught them, I bagged them...I have even been in a tank with a bunch. There is really, IMO, nothing to fear from them. I think they are absolutely beautiful fish, when well cared for, and full of personality. I would definitely not avoid one out of fear of their venom.