Anyone build their own stand before?

nickbuol

OK. I have seen many people say that it is (typically) better to buy a TANK than to build one, but what about a stand? I've examined our 75 gallon oak stand and it's construction. It seems really basic and straight forward. We are looking at building a stand and canopy for a tank (size to be deturmined yet) at least 150 gallons. The going rate for a PINE (not oak) stand for a 150 gallon is $290, and the canopy is $230. We want to make this tank more "part of the house" than a pretty fisk tank on a stand in the corner of a room.
Let me know your thoughts and ideas. We are about 9-12 months out on starting this, but as we all have learned, in this hobby you can never plan too far ahead.

mr . salty

Of corse you can build your own.My cabinet and canopy are both home made.Take a look at my home page.The link is below this post.

b_ball12_99

I'm making my own for my 75 gallon. Not to hard. Make sure the tank's sides are resting on the stand's sides. You DO NOT want your tank to hang over and should avoid making it rest in the middle with extra stand extending out.

mr. tang

I say go for it. I bought a 90 gal. glass fish tank and stand. Three months later I hated the stand and its cheap construction. I am also 6'4" and had to bend down to see the inhabitants of my tank. So I built myself a stand that was 40" tall. Plus a canopy to match. I had a ton of fun doing it and was able to make it look fantastic. Now my wife says I have set the standard for all the future funiture that we will buy.
I will say this, before you price out the materials, have a plan for how you want your hardware to be placed under the tank. I made two levels to my stand in order to put a refrium in. All you have to do is measure out your sump(s), skimmer, pumps etc. and stick to your plan.
Also don't forget to price out screws, stain, varnish, doors, hinges, knobs, lights for under the sump, and then add 15% for screw-up. BTW Home Depot will take just about anything back. Buy about a gallon of Varnish and waterproof everything.
Past that, Have fun! I will post pics of mine when I get the Chance!

pufferlover

Anyone with the ability to build their own stand gets a thumbs up from me. I have no ability in wood working so I buy the stands I have and yet there are many downfalls to the way they build them. If you have the ability and the patience to do it right then go for it.

you are right it is better to build your stand if you are good with wood the junk they use to build those stands in the store are something else i am supprized they hold up anything

oozy

im in the process right now. i am building a 20g stand. im deciding on what to do about the canopy.
its harder than it looks but is worth it. also it helps with the whold patience thing required for this hobbie :)
-Oozy-

C

coralbeauty

I built my own canopy several months ago. It turned out great. I made mine out of oak so it would match the cabinet. Used brass screws so they would not rust. It cost about $50-$60 for a 55 gallon.
Good luck! I think it is a great idea.
Connie

nickbuol

This it great information! I would love to see some plans and/or pictures of homemade stands and canopies. Please feel free to email any of them to me at the following address (take out the spaces between the characters. Not sure if this web site will let me post an email address without swapping letters out for *'s)
n b u o l @ m a h e a l t h c a r e . c o m
Thanks everyone!

Clipped from a site...
Step 1

Ok, first buy the wood. Don't skimp here. The whole look of the stand will depend on the quality of the wood you buy. I went with 3/4" A/C plywood. The A/C are grades of the sides of the plywood with A being good (no knot holes, and C being Ok, a few smalls ones maybe). Of course the "A" side would go on the outside. Also, knowing that the inside of the stand will be humid and that the four courners are the most important part, I got 4x4 treated posts.
Step 2

This is the fun part, the frame. I did this by notching the 4x4 posts so that the 2x4 frame would fit. This way, the upper and lower frame rest directly on the 4x4's. I fastened the 2x4 boards to the 4x4 posts and other 2x4 boards with deck screws. Here is were I added the 2x4 braces I put across the top and down the front and back in the middle too keep the stand from bowing over time. The are pictured in step 4.
Step 3

Fasten the playwood to the frame. I put plywood on all sides except for the back. I then measured and cut the holes for the doors with the whole thing on it's back. This was easier to do this way but a bit riskier as if I made a huge mistake, taking the plywood off would have been a chore. The top piece of plywood is 48 1/2" x 18 1/2" (if I remember right) to match the 90 gallon aquarium bottom. The plywood sides come up a bit over the top of top piece forming a small lip. No pratical reason for this really, it was just how I designed it. I also designed the plywood to extend back past the frame for an inch or two back from the frame so I could put the stand against the wall, but have the frame and the aquarium out a few inches.
Step 4

Here you can see the inside of the stand with the middle braces I added back in step 2. One change I would make if I could do it all over again would be to put the metal brackets securing the back vertical 2x4 on the outside of the frame, instead of the inside. This would allow easier removal of the brace to remove a large sump if necessary (which is was).
Step 5 (Sides)

This is when I added the molding and doors. One note, glue, just don't nail these on. When you get your friends over to move it, they will more than likely pick it up by the molding so securing well is in everyone's best interest.
Step 6 (Front)

Here is a pretty good shot of the front of the stand before staining. And for those computer geeks out there, yes that is an old IBM mainframe in the background. They make excellent tool storage closets!
Step 7

This only thing left to do was seal the inside. I water sealed all the wood inside the stand and calked all the seams. I figure the stand bottom will hold approx. 10 gallons of water if something happens in the sump. I just hope to never test it. I then put two coats of stain and one coat of sealant over that. I looks good, doesn't scratch easy, and repels even saltwater!
Hope this helps???

rmc

Old Yeller Tang, I also built a high stand about 38" for my 150gal. I have also built a standard height stand for my 65gal, but the canopy I designed on the 65 does not add any heigth for access. I basically have a small trim board around the tank top and the entire canopy hinges up. I will use the same design on the higher 150 so that I will not need a step ladder to reach up and over all the time. The AGA's are easy to do this with the Oceanic's may not be so easy. This is because of the very large trim on the AGA tanks.