anyone do this

florida joe

Has anyone ever tried this? While rummaging through my junk draw I came across one of these suction cups and started thinking (yes sometimes I think) why not crazy glue a fag to it especially corals that like to grow on the vertical walls of reef and stick it on the back glass of my tank????? For you enterprising people out there I want my cut of the profits

reefkprz

the thought crossed my mind before I even went so far as to try it, glueing them directly to the cup didnt work, so I put epoxy molded around the nub as a base to glue to, in the end every time the coral either out grew the capacity for the cup to hold it, or the cup just failed and the frags kept falling, it was more annoying than anything, especially when they dropped into the nether regions behind the tank. in the end I surmised it was best used for something that would encrust and grow onto the glass, provided the cup held long enough, then I figured out it was esier just to glue to the glass. then i got annoyed and scraped them off the glass.

michaeltx

UV kills the plastic pretty quickly. you could use the water safe magnets like the frag racks are made of with a tile on it then it would stay in place

florida joe

Actually friend I don’t think they are made of plastic most likely some kind of vinyl they are the same suction cups used to hold our powerheads and heaters in our tanks

reefkprz

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2873390
Actually friend I don’t think they are made of plastic most likely some kind of vinyl
joe, vinyl is a plastic.....

I agree that the lighting on our tanks kill them pretty quick, I dont even use suction cups on my powerheads anymore. after many years of having them fail eventually, I now use magnets or place them on/in the rock work or suspend them from their cords.

florida joe

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2873426
joe, vinyl is a plastic.....

I agree that the lighting on our tanks kill them pretty quick, I dont even use suction cups on my powerheads anymore. after many years of having them fail eventually, I now use magnets or place them on/in the rock work or suspend them from their cords.
Reef I humbly stand corrected

jackri

I always end up buying extra suction cups as yeah.... they really don't last long in the aquarium -- and the ones that come with power heads are worse than the bigger clear ones I get in the craft store... big pack for a buck or two.
But to put a frag on them? I guess I wouldn't -- unreliable and don't see them sticking... good idea in theory as they'd be easy to attach and move.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by jmj6239
http:///forum/post/2936556
suction cups dont last long enough, go with magnets, you can custom make them easily.
I see you live in St. Cloud...I lived in Sartell for 7 years...23 years ago. Don't see or know of many Minnesota people since I left...very few leave I suppose