Anyone else sometimes just sit and stare into your refugium?

tur4k

I must have spent an hour and a half last night peering into my fuge after the tank lights turned off and the fuge lights turned on. It's amazing how much life is in there that you don't see until you look very closely.
The top of my chaeto ball looked like an ant hill with all of the amphapods crawling on it. Little brineshrimp looking things swimming around. Stomatella crawling around. The closer you look, the more you see. Almost as much fun as watching the DT.

deton8it

Heck, I catch the wife and kids doing it sometimes. My 8 year old likes to show me the "Coco-pods" as he calls them.

alisamac

I do it with all of our tanks.. Especially at night with the lights off, I'll whip out a flashlight and look around. One time we found a brittle star in our fuge that we definitely didn't purchase on purpose. I could probably do without TV as long as we had the tanks.

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisamac http:///t/387802/anyone-else-sometimes-just-sit-and-stare-into-your-refugium#post_3415003
I do it with all of our tanks.. Especially at night with the lights off, I'll whip out a flashlight and look around. One time we found a brittle star in our fuge that we definitely didn't purchase on purpose. I could probably do without TV as long as we had the tanks.
Nice. I just set up a 10G to house a filefish that was causing me problems. I went to the LFS and picked up around 15lbs of live rock. A six inch brittle star fell out of one of the small rocks as I was putting it in the tank. For once I got something other than a mantis or gorilla crab.

A

abeandlulu

I have a brittle star that lives in the front grill of my protein skimmer..

alisamac

The worst hitchhikers we've ever had are some dumb little mojanos that have a rock with deep crevices that protect them nicely from us.

snakeblitz33

Yup, what else are you going to look at when it's lights out on your display tank? lol.
You could get yourself some red lunar lights and watch all the little creepy crawlers in your display tank at night too...
I'll have to see how much room I have in my sump after I put some rock in it. I might add a clownfish or something down there when it's all set up. :D That way I'll have something to watch. I hate insomnia.