anyone else use these

devilboy

yes there is a big difference. but overtime i wonder if it will lose its rotating capability due to salt. just like the powersweeps

teresaq

Ive had mine 4 or 5 months, and yes one did stop, but i just took it apart, (really easy) cleaned it good, and put it back. working great. It has no motor, just gears.

chipmaker

Just a heads up on HYdor brand power heads. I like them and they work fine, but I found that over time, and relatively short period of time, they would sort of set there and pulsate back and forth and never really pump any normal amount of water. I had 7 of them in a period of about 10 months that went south. Hydor usually has a good rep for a decent product. What causes them to do that is if the play in the impeller is restricted and it can not rotate back and forth that small amount on the shaft. I ofund this to come into play with other pumps as well. The pump impeller will rock back and forth becuase its starting against a load (water), and it does not have that "free" rotation to get things going. The motors are relatively weak with little to no starting torque and that back and forth play is what makes the pump to be able to get up to speed and not rock, so pull them apart, and slip the impllers off the shaft and off their adapter, and keep em clean....Before I found this out they were throwing me a lot of curve balls.......

my way

Originally Posted by DevilBoy
yes there is a big difference. but overtime i wonder if it will lose its rotating capability due to salt. just like the powersweeps
If your Powersweeps are submerged how is the salt building up on them? Powersweeps are extremely easy to clean. I do mine about every 2 weeks, it takes less than a minute to clean them and I never have any problems with them. Does anyone who has one of the Hydro flo's know if they can be taken apart to clean them?

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by My Way
If your Powersweeps are submerged how is the salt building up on them? Powersweeps are extremely easy to clean. I do mine about every 2 weeks, it takes less than a minute to clean them and I never have any problems with them. Does anyone who has one of the Hydro flo's know if they can be taken apart to clean them?
Yes they pop apart very easily!

oxbeard

I just got one of these a couple weeks ago. Tried it first on my Aqua 2100 which pumps at 692GPH. Like I expected, this proved way too much for Hydor Flo. Then put it on a Maxi 1200 and works great. I've got it set about midway down on one back corner of the tank. Not sure if it is the cause of not, but since I added it my damsels hang out around it most of the time.
Just ordered 2 more with Maxi 1200's for a 55 I'm just starting. I really liked at for varying the current, thought it was much better than one of the timed power strips. Don't like the idea of the PH constantly turning off and on.

teresaq

I dont think they are very heavy. havent had a problem with mine
sorry about the pics i need to scrap

olga

I have one of them too, on my hydor powerhead. The guy in LFS suggested it and they have quite a few of them on theirs own tanks.
Its sort of a defuser, as was pointed out before here. Its very inexpensive £10 in UK. Its turning very slowly and does sort of separate the flow around.
However my cleaner shrimp was caught in it few times, when I seen it, and i end up to chase him away, in case his whisks and legs will be sucked and tangled up in all this little things (don't know English word for it) in between of this attachment.
Not sure, if its necessarily.