Anyone ever bred hippo tangs?

florida joe

I do not believe there has ever been a documented case of hippos breeding in a home aquarium
But if you are going to try just remember there are no external differences between males and females

fmarini

home aquariums- not likely. However large public aquaria have reported frequent spawning events.
The biggest problem w/ tang spawning is they require large to huge amounts of space for the courtship/ascension. Home tanks just dont provide this, I saw a video from a private pet store w/ a 20,000 gal tank, who had blue tangs and yellow tangs spawning daily.
As for has anyone ever raised a blue tang spawn. there was a report out of the pan-pacific that they could raise these fish to quartersize juveniles.

mantisman51

On a certain full moon, over a specific reef, males and females gather and release their eggs and sp@rm into the open ocean to mix and settle in the coral to hatch. It is a mass release with thousands gathering. I don't think that is replicable in an aquarium. From the series The Pacific on Discovery not too long ago.