Anyone ever get this when company comes over?

S

scoobs

Wow I love your fish tank.. But you don't have many fish why don't you get more? I tell them "It's a reef tank it's more about the corals than the fish"

And the just sit and look at you for a second like "WTF"? With that head turned to the side like a dog thats trying to figure something out...

Fish tanks don't have to be about the fish.. Explaining that to someone is not so easily done

maxalmon

Yeah, I get that all the time......I just tell everyone that there are tons of fish in the tank but that most of them are shy or well hidded or I give them some kinda predatory responce/ hidden agressive line of BS and everyone then just stares at the tank for hours waiting on something to swim by...... Most of the time they stand there long enought that they ACTUALLY START TO SEE other things in the system and then they get really interested.... Me bad...

wangotango

most people just ask me if everything is alive. i say "yep everything in the tank is alive" they say "what about this flowery looking thing?" "yes everything in this tank is alive, all the coral is alive." "what about this thing....." it goes on an on.
-Justin

S

scoobs

I find it amazing how many people think clams are totally disgusting looking.. they are like one of my favorite thing about reef keeping

kanicky

My MIL always says, "You need to get more fish. The tank looks empty!" I keep telling her that the fish will grow, and that with the fish I have, my bio-load is at it's max, and that if I want more fish, I'll have to get a bigger tank.
My mom, for whatever reason, seems to focus way too much on the powerhead's. She can't understand why they have to be so "visible." LoL. I tell her that if you look at the tank every day, you don't even notice the PH's. (I will be doing a black background in our next tank, though, to minimize visibility.)
Others that come to the house, though, are amazed, and as with everyone else who isn't in the hobby, thinks it's "so hard to keep up."

reefstar22

Originally Posted by Scoobs
I find it amazing how many people think clams are totally disgusting looking.. they are like one of my favorite thing about reef keeping
When most people see my giant clams they say, " Man, you really know how to jam out with your clam out."

HAHAHAHA.
But seriously. - People all ways look at the tank and ask why isn't there more fish.
I just tell them to watch the tank for awhile, and they start to notice that the fish I do have...have there own little homes... personalities..etc etc etc... then they fall in love... just like I do...
or atleast until they find out what the bad boy costs...

azreefgirl

I love it when people tell me they like all the pretty, colorful "plants" I have in the tank, then amazed, confused, and fascinated when I tell them that those "plants" are corals and that they're actually animals!

promisetbg

Originally Posted by Kanicky
My mom, for whatever reason, seems to focus way too much on the powerhead's. She can't understand why they have to be so "visible." LoL. I tell her that if you look at the tank every day, you don't even notice the PH's. (I will be doing a black background in our next tank, though, to minimize visibility.)
Consider doing a closed loop instead of powerheads, it looks so much nicer.

S

scoobs

A girl i dated came over and said nice fish tank.. You would've loved my old tank it was 200 gallons and had these huge Oscars..........................................................
Oscars will live in a toilet I told her, thats not very impressive.

reefforbrains

Your real smooth with the ladies there Scoobs. LOL
I always have the same image of the person saying- " well its all just coral, where is Nemo?"
They are the same person that would complain thier Bordeaux is old, and to get them a fresh bottle of wine. Something freshly bottled.
Takes all kinds, hard to believe that not everyone is crazy about a reef. Just cant fathom it but they do exist. LOL

bobsingh1

About six years ago, I had started my 30 gal reef tank and was so proud to display it. A few guests came over (freinds of my mom from way back when). After the pleasantries and a few snacks, this woman who probably had no idea what a fish tank looks like, leave alone a reef tank was sitting about 10 feet away. Looking at the striped damsels from that distance she goes "Bobby, are those cockroaches?" I was like "WHAT??!!"
I forced a smile on my face and said no. But the smilies below sums up pretty much what I was feeling inside.
I really felt like grabbing that woman from the arm and showing her out. For gods sake...

maxalmon

Originally Posted by Scoobs
Oscars will live in a toilet I told her, thats not very impressive.
Thanks for the laugh, I almost lost it when I read that one...
Smooth, very smooth

kanicky

Originally Posted by promisetbg
Consider doing a closed loop instead of powerheads, it looks so much nicer.
I think that's the route we're going to go with our new fish tank. I don't mind the PH's, but I do agree that tanks look so much nicer without them. Guess that will be the next thing I research!