Anyone ever had Lasik surgery?

lovethesea

wow, thats more than I paid 8 years ago. Around here the price has come down. But I do love the results and I would do it again. My Dr. has very strict rules for his candidates. The thickness of the cornea is the most important. My Dr. told 2 of my friends they were not good candidates.
good luck, I drove myself to the Dr. the next morning without glasses

kind of felt like driving without a seatbelt.......something was missing.

nina&noah

Yeah, I think it is a little pricey. I could probably get it done cheaper somewhere else, but I am going to one of the best eye hospitals in the US. They have all of the latest state of the art equipment that minimizes the risk of any side effects. I'm sure that other doctors might have it to, but I feel better going to the best. They are charging me $2500 per eye. The good news is the financing lets me pay it off in 2 years with no interest.

mgcab

i am glad you qualified i am having lasik done next thursday the 23rd and cant wait to see without my annoying glasses i am paying 1850 per eye but like you said i am also paying it off in 2 years good luck

nina&noah

That's great! That makes us Lasik buddies!

I called today and found out that the procedure I am having is called "custom lasik" it is a relatively new procedure where the computer does everything. It actually reads the individual eye to find the places that need adjusted. It minimizes the risk of the side effects that used to be a concern. Super cool! The clinical trial showed 90% of people had 20/20 vision and 70% had 20/16! How cool would that be.

cranberry

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3011774
I had the 'flap and zap' performed on my eyes about 10 years ago. I started out at 20/100, and ended with 20/40 (which I still have today). My surgery was performed using the scalpel method like you described at first. Technology has improved to where they use a laser now. It's less invasive, and makes a cleaner cut thatn the scalpel method.
As I recall, this is how my procedure went:
They put special drops in your eyes for dilation, and also some antibiotic cream for post surgery. They also gave me a

[hr]
to 'cut the edge off' during the surgery. Once I got into the room with the equipment, I laid down on a table so they could pull the machine that does the actual Lasik over the top of me. They took this device that covers the top of your eye and had these 'spreaders' tp keep both your eyelids wide open. Absolutely no way to blink. Didn't really hurt, just uncomfortable. Your eyes start to dry out fast. The next thing they did was put this ocular piece that has the scalpel in it into the device keeping your eyelids open. When the procedure started, the ocular piece had this vacuum to it where it actually sucks your eyeball into it. They do this to get you eye in the proper position for the scalpel to slice the corneal flap. For a couple of seconds you can see the blade go across the eye, and then back. After this happens, your vision is completely blurred. This is when the 'flap' is made, and your cornea is exposed to the laser. Next thing you know, you hear this other vacuum noise, and your vision goes from white to complete blackness. All I saw was this small red beam in the far distance. The doctor then told me "Don't move". I then heard this 'ticking' noise in the background, which I was told was the laser hitting my cornea performing the actual Lasik surgery, burning off the parts that were mapped out with the computer during my initial diagnosis. About 30 seconds later, I could see white again and I could see the 'flap' go back over my cornea. Vision was pretty blurry at this time. The entire procedure took about 5 minutes. I had both eyes done in one sitting. Some people, and doctors, recommend you do one eye at a time. Their premise at the time was if something went terribly wrong, you'd only have one eye that was damaged instead of two. Don't think that's an issue any longer.
They kept me in post-op for about 30 minutes to make sure everything went OK. I was still a little loopy because of the

[hr]
, but within 10 or 15 minutes, I could already tell a difference with my eyesight. When I was released, the doctor told me to go home and immediately go to bed. The eyes heal faster while sleeping. They give you these goggles with holes in them to wear while you sleep. You defintely want these so you don't accidentally rub your eyes (Big No, No). The initial 12 hours were pretty uncomfortable. My eyes had this irritating scratchy feeling. Kind of like when you get sand, dirt, or a hair in your eye. You want to rub, but you know you can't. The doctor gave me two different kind of drops to use after the surgery. One was an antibiotic, the other helped with the irritation. After about 12 to 24 hours, the itchiness stopped. I had to make sure and not get water in my eyes the first 3 - 5 days when washing my hair. After that, it was back to normal.
I was thinking of having it done... I changed me mind.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3020740
I was thinking of having it done... I changed me mind.
As I stated before, it's really not that scary. The operation itself was just uncomfortable, not painful at all. And realize my procedure was performed about 10 years ago. Sounds like the new computerized procedure is more efficient. Wait for nina's account of her operation before you decide whether to do it or not. I'd also suggest going to talk to your local optomestrist who performs the Lasik surgeries. Every doctor I spoke with prior to mine was very informative, and even let me observed an actual surgery.

mgcab

yea i have a lasik buddy

i am also having custom lasik done are you nervous at all i cant wait

michael

nina&noah

Well it will be one week tomorrow since I had the procedure done. I'm not thrilled with the results. The surgery was not painful, but immediatly after was pure torture. They don't tell you that your eyes will burn so bad that you want to claw them out of your head. I got home and took the "magic pill" they gave me and slept it off. When I woke up I thought I would be able to see...I couldn't. Slowly it has gotten better, but my left eye is still fuzzy. My night vision is pretty bad. Things are very fuzzy at night. I was told to give it time. It is supposed to keep getting better. The doctor told me that everyone goes through this, and they just forget. I don't know if I buy that story! I am really scared that I paid all of that money to end up in worse shape than I started.
I don't know why I ended up being the 1% that isn't happy with the end results.
I looked forward to this procedure for many years. I waited and waited until I felt comfortable with the technology. It is really disappointing.
How is my Lasik buddy doing? I hope you are having a better experience.

lovethesea

yikes, I didn't have any burning. Just really watery for several hours. But I was so exhausted (I wore myself out worrying) I fell asleep right away. I drove myself to the doctor the next morning. No vision problems and could see everything.
Hope all goes well, and maybe you just need a little more time as they stated.

shaded light

i'm going to kill my mom if she doesnt get lasik (not really).
but every 2 years she spends 400-500 bucks on glasses, prescriptions, and frames. she's been doing this for 30 years and i told her that she doesnt want to deal with eye problems when she gets older.
and then she also has contacts.
all my friends have done it, and yeah, 2 grnad all at once is a bit much, but long term it saves money, and the trouble of glasses.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/3029609
yikes, I didn't have any burning. Just really watery for several hours. But I was so exhausted (I wore myself out worrying) I fell asleep right away. I drove myself to the doctor the next morning. No vision problems and could see everything.
Hope all goes well, and maybe you just need a little more time as they stated.
That is what everyone says! The doctor is unconcerned and says that it is completely normal. If it is so normal, than why have I not spoken to 1 person who has experienced it!

bionicarm

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/3029880
That is what everyone says! The doctor is unconcerned and says that it is completely normal. If it is so normal, than why have I not spoken to 1 person who has experienced it!
I think if you go look back at my lengthly post, I explained that your eyes would feel scratchy and have a burning sensation for around 24 hours after the surgery. That's why they should have given you the goggles to wear why you sleep so you didn't rub your eyes. My eyes were like lovetheseas. I could see better right after I left, and had the same vision I do now 24 hours after the surgery. I don't know why your doctor says 'to give it time'. Sounds like they mapped your eye incorrectly, or didn't burn enough off to bring your vision to the level they said it would be at. After a week, I think your vision should have stabilized somewhat already. What did the doctor say after your last visit? I had to go the next day, then 7 days later, then two weeks later, then once a month for 3 months as part of my post-op checkups. My doc told me that if my vision wasn't up to what it should be after two weeks, he could go in again and 'zap' off more. But my vision stabilized at 20/40, and it wasn't worth the hassle to go through the procedure again to get 20/20 at best.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3029890
I think if you go look back at my lengthly post, I explained that your eyes would feel scratchy and have a burning sensation for around 24 hours after the surgery. That's why they should have given you the goggles to wear why you sleep so you didn't rub your eyes. My eyes were like lovetheseas. I could see better right after I left, and had the same vision I do now 24 hours after the surgery. I don't know why your doctor says 'to give it time'. Sounds like they mapped your eye incorrectly, or didn't burn enough off to bring your vision to the level they said it would be at. After a week, I think your vision should have stabilized somewhat already. What did the doctor say after your last visit? I had to go the next day, then 7 days later, then two weeks later, then once a month for 3 months as part of my post-op checkups. My doc told me that if my vision wasn't up to what it should be after two weeks, he could go in again and 'zap' off more. But my vision stabilized at 20/40, and it wasn't worth the hassle to go through the procedure again to get 20/20 at best.

I wore the goggles until the next morning. The horrible burning was gone when I woke up. My left eye felt scratchy for a couple of days, but it feels better now. I visited the doctor the next morning. That is when she told me to "give it time." My next post op appointment is on May 20. If my vision does not get better by next week, I am going to try to schedule an appointment before that. It is very good to know that your doctor said they could go back and do more. The left and the right eye don't match, and it gives me a headache. Something must have went wrong with that left eye, although they said everything went well.