anyone ever have luck with this fish??

jeffsz28

i have seen this fish at a petstore a hour from my house and both times i wanted to get it but wasn't sure. its called a big eye-big eye squirel fish. its red-big eyes and looks very old. bob fernner said that they usually never eat,need a dark tank with hidding places and none aggressive tankmates. this one seemed to be very aggressive,it would open its mouth at me when i was lookin at it and it followed my figure. anyone every have luck with these? would it live with a mantis grouper,puffer,shark in a 125?

they are cool looking fish. . i want a couple in my tank. i see pictures of them in schools but should survive singly if healthy.i have read that they do good in large tanks with lr and swimming space.
[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: TRIGAHAPPYNIGERog ]

jeffsz28

so you think they would be easy to keep? have you heard anything about success of keeping them in a tank? thanks

actually they are more active when the lights are off twilight hours and when there is a on light in the room. they need good water quality to survive. they only do good in groups and i think it would live better in a group of three or more. they should be housed with non agressive fish. they get around 6+inches and will swallow fish it can fit in its mouth. i my opinion pass on it. you already have a lot of large fish.

jeffsz28

yea it was like four inches long and was $100 bucks so i didn't want it to get killed in like two days from my other fish. its to bad though they are sweet. look downs are awesome to but they need the same type of enviorment.

nasotang00

One of my lfs has one that is about 11 inches. I don't know what the full adult size is though. I would look very carefully at that.

jeffsz28

most of the time anything real strange and cool-either will never live or won't ever eat. its to bad theres alot of neat fish out there that they don't do good in tanks. they shouldn't sell them and waste them. i care more about the fish then the price tag.

von_rahvin

big eye squirrle fish get around 2 feet in the wild. i see them all the time around 18 inches. this is on the deep dives.