anyone ever have shoulder surgery

reefreak29

Originally Posted by doody00
Hi, just wanted to say that you've passed the worst part (the injury and the surgery). Now you're on your way to recovery.
In April I tore my rotator cuff at work. In July I had arthroscopic surgery. repairing the tear, removing a bone spur and removing the end of another bone. I totally agree with you. The first three days post surgery are the worst...but you will get to feeling better pretty quickly. Just remember to do everything your surgeon says exactly and when you get to physical therapy...first of all find a therapist that you like or else you won't do your excercises or even go to your appointments.
Do your excercises religiously.

I'm 2 1/2 months and doing well.
Just one more note. It can take your shoulder up to a year to completely heal. Don't rush it, it has to last you the rest of your life.
Good luck
judy
ty judy a year seems a long time from now for 100 percent recovery but thats what i was also told as well, i a good note im on day six and feeling ok

nigerbang

I have torn my Rotator Cuff in on the right side twice playing baseball once and....drunk and fell off a 15'high deck...not my proudest moment..so yeah..It hurts and I still have a grinding feeling when I rotate to far.

mimzy

ok, Reef... they're gonna evaluate you first. this means some guy is gonna dig into the musculature around your shoulder with his fingers. They CALL it theraputic massage, but what it ACTUALLY is is an introduction to a kind of pain you have never before encountered.
I don't mean to frighten you, but I was utterly unprepared for this when I went for my evaluation and I WISH someone had told me about it b/c I would have at least been able to do breathing excersises beforehand.
The evaluation visit is mainly to figure out what kind of atrophy you're talking about, and how much range of motion you have right now. It HURTS. Know this. Be prepared.
Therapy itself is a lot of fun, they never push you too far, they always make sure you feel tension and stretch-but no pain-while you're doing your repetitions. The most agonizing part of the whole therapy experience is the "massages." They have to wake your muscles out of atrophy and spasm...and this means all kinds of digging and twisting and oh-my-g-d-the-pain. It's a weird pain...it's freezing cold and sometimes nauseating and u hear all kinds of grindy noises and I'm shuddering just thinking about it.
I'm telling you b/c no one told me and I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!! At first, you'll wonder if it ever gets easier - and yes, it does. In the end it just feels like an overzealous massage, but for the first few sessions at least it is quite a stunning experience.
Luckily, the massages are only 5-10 minutes out of your whole therapy session, so you'll get to do all kinds of fun stuff before and after to keep your mind clear.
The excersises themselves are silly looking, but boy oh boy you will be AMAZED at how they help you. I know no one is perfect, and most days you're tired and uncomfortable, but TRY to do the home-work excersises they give you with some regularity. They will help immensely with your progress. They'll probably give you some nifty excersise equipment or at LEAST some tension bands to take home with you too. I found it was easiest to do these in the shower, as your muscles are being warmed (and therefore lubricated) by the hot water.
All in all, it's really wonderful, just be prepared to work hard and know that sometimes... it hurts.
Good luck, and keep us posted!!!!

reefreak29

i feel much better now ty, no ty for the heads up its very well appreciated , i will let u know tomarrow how bad it was

mimzy

come to think of it, you actually might not have much atrophy, being that you're going in so soon after surgery. you'll probably just be really sore when he massages you - i had to wait 4weeks between the operation and my therapy, so by then my arm was practically useless. Lucky ducky you!

67 demon

reefreak29, i am licensed to practice Physical Therapy and have been for some years now. If you have any questions regarding rehab (or anything related to your shoulder), feel free to ask away. Just a heads up, Physical Therapy is all about stages of progression.
Also, i'm sure others were trying to help you along in what to expect for the first day of rehab.... take it with a grain of salt (this was not meant with any malice or disregard). Even i can't tell you EXACTLY what to expect because every Provider is different on what therapies they deem necessary, not to mention your INDIVIDUAL nature of injury/repair. Just because you and i both have the same diagnosis for injury, doesn't mean that we are treated (via PT) with the same modalities (i.e. electrical stimulation, ice, heat, ultrasound, etc.) or for the same duration of time (weeks, months). Another thing..... you are a unique individual. Try not to compare your Physical Therapy progress (or sometimes lack thereof) to someone elses. Many factors influence each person's progression.
Be patient, you may get discouraged throughout rehab. As others have said, do the home exercises; they are very beneficial. I can't stress that enough. Use full body mirrors at home (and at PT if they are available) to track progress of motion. It is very uplifting to see progress. I'm sure there are thousand's of other things i want to say.... but that would require writing a novel.
Again, i apologize if some of my comments were construed as undermining or rude. It definately was not my intention. It also was not my intention to step up on this soapbox... if it was perceived that way. Like everyone else, i just wanted to help...... which was the primary reason why i chose Physical Therapy as my profession. Best wishes and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
-Jakob