Anyone ever heard of Quickrete?

nah2o

I called the nearest Home Depot Store to inquire about Southdown Playsand and they told me the only brand
they have is "Quickrete Playsand". The guy says the bag says its "children's playground sand" and it costs $2.27 for a 50lb.
bag. Anyone ever heard of it? (I would just go to the store and look for it myself, but the nearest store is an hour away)

ksujason

Yes is a very common playground sand sold at most home improvement stores. There has been alot of debates on this board about its use as a DSB. Seems to me it would work but the color is not white like Southdown sand.

reef fool

Yeah, I've used it in the kids sandbox. Not in my tank though. It is just a normal, yellowish in color, playsand.
We actually have a Quickcrete plant right here in Dutchess Cty. NY. About 2 miles from me.

W

wildmike

Do you havea Lowes around you? They have a sand that is not southdown but it is white. I got a 100lbs bag for $6. I have seen the stuff that Home depot sells and its a med to dark brown. I have a little in my tank and I really like the way the white sand looks. Just my .02
Mike

slick

I have this in my 90g tank. I have 0 po4 in my tank. I think it's ok to use if you cant get your hands on southdown.
Bang guy why do you think if sand is brown it is un pure? I live right by the mighty Mississippi river which has sand on the shore. Now as far as I'm concerned brown sand is just brown. Haven't you seen brown sand on the beaches at the ocean? It's not all white.

nah2o

There is a local Lowe's and I called and asked the guy about the sand they have. He says it's "Premium Playsand", and when I asked if it were white or not, he said it was light brown. I'll go by and take a look at it myself. He says it's $3.13 for a 50lb bag. Question: once you put the sand in your tank, does the surface of the sand stay white, (unlike bleached corals, etc/)
Will let you guys know.....

aarone

I used the Quisk-crete in my tank and it works fine. I mixed it with 40 lbs of LS also to seed it. The brown and white specked sand looks pretty cool to me.

bang guy

Originally posted by slick
Bang guy why do you think if sand is brown it is un pure?

Because Silica is transparent. Pure Silica sand will appear white. Contaminants include tin, iron, copper, feldspar, etc. for another dime a bag you can find a silica sand that will work fine.
I am not saying brown sand will not work. Just that there is potential for future problems.
Beach sand definately out unless it's a natural beach.

slick

I thought silica sand would leach silicates into the water causing algae problems? Thats why I stayed away from it.

jtroutine

I thought that as well but I would be curious to hear reply being that I am in the market for sand as well. I have been told by somemany peple to go the rout of play sand.......but what kind is been the tricky part for me anyway maybe I am making it to complicated on myself:confused:

slick

Originally posted by Kipass4130
there is a difference in silica and silicates.... the silicates is what makes diatoms.

So where do silicates come from?