Anyone ever use MDF for Canopy?

pizzamiglio

Hey all. Getting ready to start plans for a canopy for my 92 gal corner. The stand is jet black, and would like to canopy to be also. I know that minwax makes an ebony stain that will work, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using Med. Desity Fiberboard for canopies? I figured that since it was already very smooth, and grain is not an issue (as it will not be seen) that the MDF would be a good choice. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks all.

justinx

I have seen some very nicely made canopies from MDF. It can be done, but make sure that you seal it.

slick

You can make a canopy out of mdf board if you want. But I think plywood is better. Why other than the texture do you want to use mdf board? MDF board will start to seperate if it gets wet. Where plywood will hold up better. Now I don't know from first hand experience but if you seal the mdf board well enough it might be ok.

williamrandel

MDF board will start to seperate if it gets wet
We use MDF where i work to vaccum form sign faces. Justinx and slock are both very right in that you will have to seal it WELL. even the edges have to be sealed before you assemble it, or the moisture will cause it to start to swell up. It also acts like a sponge to most sealers (ie. thompsons, polyurethane, varnish).
When we do have to seal it, we use fiberglass resin. But you will have to sand and reseal to get a smooth finish. My vote would be plywood. HTH

slick

Oak plywood in my area is about $35 for a 4x8 sheet. It is very smooth and makes a very nice looking canopy.

slick

Sorry I don't have any stripes. What I use is a thin peice of trim. Here is the trim I used on mine. You can see the regular trim next to the thin stuff I used to face some of the canopy.