Anyone from Pittsburgh on here ?

nw2sltfsh

Hi everyone I jsut moved back to Pittsburgh after 8 years being away. I live in the South Subburbs (Whitehall) does anyone know of any good LFS here?
the only ones I have found so far:
Atlatis
Elmers
Any others?

nw2sltfsh

I know exactly where that is
So how sick are you of hearing groundhog comments?
although gotta say in my college days I would go up to see Pux. Phil - some of the best parties!

mukiwa

ahah I like hate Phil.... he is just a stupid rodent... woops did I say that? ahahah... actually I have lived here for about 5 years and have NEVER gone up there for groundshogs day yet.... and I wonder if we will get an early spring? although we havn't have more than 2" of snow....

noninja

Hi, Wet Pets down on 19, Peters Township is good.
And if you want to take a drive north, SeaHorse is one of the best on Route 8, past Millvale.
Good luck.

ltrain35

Well along with the other stores that were mentioned, there is one on route 65 called AquaWorld (Emsworth) I have gotten some very good stuff from them. The pet center at beaver valley mall will soon be selling saltwater fish too. Not sure what that will be like though.
Supposedly there is one in Aliquippa, but I havent gone there yet.

sevenley

Hey! I live in Indiana, PA and work at IUP! It's good to see some locals are on this board!
I'm in the process of setting up a 42 gal. I have to have a new electrical outlet installed and in the meantime I'm deciding whether or not I want a sump. I have a 10 gal SW hex to play with in the meantime.
I drive into Elmer's when I want to go to a LFS but that's almost an hour away! There is relatively nothing in Indiana.
Lee

nw2sltfsh

Ok here is a question for all of you -- Dont you find the PA prices unreal? I just moved here and cant beleive the difference in prices from MA to here
I am looking for a store with decent prices and good selection -
so far I like Seahorse - but I want to check out anything within a 1.5 hour drive

sevenley

You all that live near Pittsburgh are luckier. We have one small "pet store" in Indiana. The last time I was there, they had two SW fish, no sand, no equipment.....I bought a 15 page booklet on SW fish and CC and one rock. You talk about starting off on the wrong foot!
Lee

mukiwa

Originally posted by Sevenley
You all that live near Pittsburgh are luckier. We have one small "pet store" in Indiana. The last time I was there, they had two SW fish, no sand, no equipment.....I bought a 15 page booklet on SW fish and CC and one rock. You talk about starting off on the wrong foot!
Lee

Yeah I have been there before, they have nothing at all and it STINKS SOOO BAD!!
It coasts like $40 for a small toadstool and about $50 for about 6 small srooms....

noninja

Corals are expensive here. Haven't found a place yet that offers great price. Every once in awhile I buy a coral from SeaHorse, see my thread on Help ID this coral. And I also started going to Aquaworld... nice place and every now and then they have nice specials... bought a montipora for 39.99 and a crocea clam special for 19.99. Otherwise, I buy from Saltwaterfish.com due to the free shipping.
Good luck.

nw2sltfsh

Originally posted by noninja
Corals are expensive here. Haven't found a place yet that offers great price. Every once in awhile I buy a coral from SeaHorse, see my thread on Help ID this coral. And I also started going to Aquaworld... nice place and every now and then they have nice specials... bought a montipora for 39.99 and a crocea clam special for 19.99. Otherwise, I buy from Saltwaterfish.com due to the free shipping.
Good luck.

Where is AquaWorld?
also I found another forum that lists Pittsburgh fish stores - it also talks about WetPets and General Store for pets
I want to check out some of these places and see who has the best what ...

noninja

Route 65 between Sewickley and Pittsburgh. Relatively new store. Lots of tanks. Even have alligators there. Open amazingly many hours... I think Everyday till 10PM. Great thing to do with the kids on a Fri or sat. night :)

nw2sltfsh

So last night I got bored and decided to go for a ride and find Wetpets in Cannonsburgh.
That place is incredible. they have fish there that I have never seen before on any site and everything looks so impressive. Very good selection with tons and tons of tanks with livestock both fish and coral alike. Great people working there as well. The guy (forgot his name) took me on a tour of the store - showed the filtration systems and explained the upkeep he does.
He also refused to sell me any livestock until I brought in a water sample so that he could ensure everything is fine.
I think I found a new favorite place. Anyone in the general area should seriously consider going there as well as being put on his mailing list for specials. He also stated that they are equipted to support Long Distance communtes home with the livestock to ensure no problems occur.
That place is awsome - it is Hands down the best LFS I have seen in PA, MA, RI, CT and NJ
Ok I will get off my soapbox now on the merits of that store -

sevenley

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to make a trip to Canonsburg! I wish that we had a local store like that in Indiana.
Lee

nw2sltfsh

when you make the trip let me know what ya think - I was extremely impressed
they had a yellow tang there that was over 8 inches long from nose to tail - it was truly the biggest one I have ever seen.

mukiwa

Originally posted by Sevenley
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to make a trip to Canonsburg! I wish that we had a local store like that in Indiana.
Lee

There is a fish store in Indiana... or are you talking about the STATE? or the town?

sevenley

I know. It's really confusing. I live in the town of Indiana; state of PA. I also work at Indiana Univ. of PA. :(
That's why I usally tell people I live near Pittsburgh. It's less confusing.
Lee

sevenley

NW2SLTFSH:
I took a trip to WetPet in Cannonsburg! Wow, you were right! It's a beautiful store. And the people were VERY helpful. They even showed me their light setups. They have a 250 gal sump in the basement. I wonder if they would show me their behind-the-scene plumbing next time I go. Can you imagine it?!
Anyway, thanks for the tip. I just wish that I lived closer. It takes over 2 hours to get there.
It was what I needed though. It got me excited about setting up my tank again. (I'm still trying to get a new electrical outlet put in.)
Lee