Anyone had good experiences with Clown Triggers?

jam1e

Hey everybody ... I'm looking to get a juvenile Clown Trigger (1.5" - 2") .. and am wanting to hear some encouragment .. tell me your good stories .. and what you think was the secret to your success .. ***)
:happyfish

N

nereef

how big is the tank that the fish will go in? clown triggers will need a 240.

agrsiv210

I say the smaller the clown trigger the better, mine is 2". I have a 210 gallon and it and my sohal tang are the last inhabitants being added. I haven't had any trouble with mine, as a matter of fact he used to hang out with my two gold stripe maroon clowns all the time before I added the carpet. I say go for it, you never know until you try. GOOD LUCK.

vezina345

I have one that's about 4-5" and so far no problems. He is in with some pretty tough customers though, but he has been very passive for the most part.

jam1e

hey vezina345 .. I appreciate your input can you give me a stock list just so I know some tankmates that he may get along with .. thanks everyone .. also what size tank do you have yours in?

tome

I had one, he was with a puffer and a grouper. He was fine and rarley bothered anyone. the only trouble i had was with a lionfish and he showed it that he did not like him very much, but the lion was my fault cause I should have known it would happen. But mine had a great personality and loved attention. You should definetly get one.

vezina345

Ive got him in a 240.
his roommates are:
Stonefish
Picasso trigger
Niger trigger
Emperor Snapper
Toadfish
Dejardini Tang
Volitans Lionfish, I know very risky.
Jeweled Moray
Fimbriated Moray
So far they all get along but I do know that something may flip out at some point. My triggers are by far the smallest fish in my tank so I'm hoping that helps. I do also keep them well fed to help keep down aggression levels.

sw65galma

My friend has one in a 72 bow (smaller Clow trigger) and hes in with a few other triggers with no problems...

lambo

I have a Clown Trigger 3-4" and he and a Pinkface Wrasse 4-5" are always going at it. They also don't like my Tomato Clown 3-4".

xdave

A friend of mine who's a show judge had a clown Trigger for over 10 years. One day he dropped something in the tank and reached in for it. The Clown took one bite right through his arm. He kinda lucked out because it missed the tendons and mostly just got the bone. He had rods put in to replace the bone and still has full use of his hand.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by xDave
A friend of mine who's a show judge had a clown Trigger for over 10 years. One day he dropped something in the tank and reached in for it. The Clown took one bite right through his arm. He kinda lucked out because it missed the tendons and mostly just got the bone. He had rods put in to replace the bone and still has full use of his hand.
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

kidwicked

Originally Posted by xDave
haha what the hell?
If a clown trigger can do that than what can a Titan trigger do.
they grow up to 30 inches!

Known scientifically as Balistoides Viridescens, these solitary creatures have been known to attack divers and inflict serious injury. Luckier divers return with holes in their fins (the fish seems attracted to colourful fins, which actually reduces the risk of personal injury) while more misfortunate divers have been knocked out cold or suffered from bite wounds requiring medical attention.
I think I am about to get one of these in his own tank with some nice rock work. :thinking:
heres video of them
http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfoo...82bc382a295b30

vezina345

You just have to be careful when working in the tank. They are great fish, and that goes for triggers in general. Mine is still the passive fish in the tank. My tang kinda beat him up the other day.

emporer

i have a 4- 5 in clown trigger with a yellow takg,, blue hippo, passer aangel,, and 2 foot tess in my 125... everything is ok... tthe passer and clown really go at it sometimes,,, but all is good

xdave

I should add that even after being attacked, that trigger was still his favorite fish ever.

vezina345

In my tank a trigger bite is the least of my worries. Mine could still do damage to me and I'd keep them. I think they're awesome.

startrfish

As most have been saying, the smaller the clown trig, the better. Introducing too large a specimen is no good =(. It's also a good idea if he is in an already established tank as he has not had a chance to be territorial. Of all saltwater fish, the clown trigger is my fav (see profile) It was my prized fish, only picked on certain few fish. he lived for quite a while. he was about 4 inches when i had him but unfortunately he limited what i could put in the tank. So remember, you limit yourself on other species somewhat if/when you get one.