Anyone had luck with Sweetlips?

eden

Hi - I went and got my long-awaited clownfish today and came home with a Sweetlips too. My daughter couldn't leave without him. I asked the LFS guy who was helping us and he never mentioned that this was an 'expert only' fish! Now I am worried. It is 2 hours back to the store, but maybe I should take him back. I already know he gets WAY too big, but right now he is very small and we could keep him awhile if we could keep him alive. So, I have read all the horror stories, are their any success stories with these out there?? Thanks!

I

ivanfj

There are good and bad mistakes as long as you learn from your mistakes. Is it the one that is brown and white and swims like a clownfish??? My uncle had some luck with it a few years ago when I visit him but now I don't know. He had the "lippy" for quite a long time, like 5 or 6 yrs. and didn't grow that much. I am guessing it all depends on what you feed him coz my uncle feeds his fish flake food. If he accepts flake food then I don't think he is going to grow a lot but if it's meaty food then it's hard to say.

sammystingray

Well I suppose you have figured out they change colors as they mature and don't look as nice IMO, but since they get about three feet long .......that won't matter. I have never kept one, but have heard they like live food.....might eat things in the tank you don't want eaten. I would take him back and ask why the guy didn't tell you they get three feet long....and they grow fast. Better to do it before you get attached....

noon

I did the same thing, Bought him well since my wife couldnt leave without him. Started reading here and realised he wouldnt llive in my tank for long so i took him back. I had him for a month and he did great, loved mysid shrip but thats about all i could get him to eat. He would sample everything but only eat the mysid.

eden

Well, I decided to take him back :( Feel like I am giving up a child or something. He is SOOOO pretty, but the last thing I want is to kill him because I can not feed him properly, or they just don't really live well in tanks.
I have to say my first trip to what is supposed to be a REAL fish store was disappointing. I bought 2 clowns and one died over night. The other never left his side. It was very sad! They have agreed to take back the sweetlips and replace the dead clown, but if this is supposed to be a permier aquarium store, I think I am in for a lot of heartache!
:( :(