Anyone have a MRC skimmer?

yosemite sam

I got my MyReefCreations skimmer today, and I'm not sure I've got it hooked up right. In other skimmers I've had the air valve is the only air intake into the skimmer. In other words, when that valve is closed, there is no air getting into the skimmer and no bubbles. On this new skimmer, the needle valve seems to have no inpact on the amount of bubbles in the main chamber. There is the same amount of bubbles (some big ones) whether the needle valve is open or closed. The instructions say to leave the valve open 24 hours, which it is, but I'm just confused why the valve doesn't seem to affect the amount of bubbles at all. Any ideas?

aldog51

The valve probably handles the amount of water flow. Like the SeaClone model skimmer the more open the valve the more air but less water flow. Close the valve and more water flows and less air.

yosemite sam

The water flow is controlled by another valve at the base. According to the instructions, the valve is the air control. The thing is, it doesn't seem to do anything.

yosemite sam

Andy, the guy at MRC is sending me a new injector, which is just as well since the injector rubs against the moving part of the quick release on the main chamber. Ugh. I have heard such good things about MRC skimmers, I'm just bummed I have to wait a little longer.

acrylic51

Hope all goes well with the new skimmer... I've been checking out the MRC 4 for my new setup... I think you did the right thing by contacting Andy....He will walk you through the problem stage and the exact problems your having I've seen mentioned on another site that has a forum setup just for MRC owners....
Out of curiousity what type of pump are you using to power the skimmer??? From what I've seen posted elsewhere it's usually turned out to be the pump not pushing enough, but I'm assuming the pump is new.... Keep us updated as the progress of the new skimmer... I'm really curious

yosemite sam

Yeah, Andy is great. I talked with him a bunch before I bought. He seems to think it's the injector. They apparently have a new type now, which is what he's sending me. I got one of the package deals, with the Gen-X 6000 pump, which is about 1600 gph. Granted, it's got about 18" of tubing, but still, quite a lot of water flow, so I'm not too worried about that. Interesting. I hope you get the MR-4. Are the dual injectors standard with that? I'm interested to see how they work.

acrylic51

Yeah on the MRC4 it's standard with the dual injectors... I have so much work to do yet on the new setup before I order the skimmer.... I'm curious as if you got the quick disconnect option as well???? Are you running the skimmer submersed or external. I'm going to run my external.... What is the difference between the injectors he was using and what he's using now???

yosemite sam

I did get the quick disconnect, and it adds about an 2"more in width. The fitting is pretty hard core, a very heavy duty connector. I'm not sure what the difference is in the injectors. Andy said it was a different style, so I'll have to wait and see. I'm running mine submerged since I don't have the room to run it external.
Here's a picture of it. It is pretty cool looking, I think. :yes:

acrylic51

I love the skimmer!!!! Excellent choice IMO!!!!! Keep me posted how everything turns out and how much junk the thing pulls... Should be ready to order mine within the next month if everything keeps moving at this pace... Still have to get the sump built. Have to have the acrylics guy order in the acrylic for me next week!!!!!! Keep me posted

iwantacans

very nice i just got mine a couple days ago... of cpurse my tank is empty for a few more months... but atleast it give me something to look at... heres mine

acrylic51

Hey Gold Strip any problems with setup or break in period??? How long does Andy recommend for the break in period?

gold strip

This is an older version so I dont know what he is recomending now but setup was simple. Hooked it up and let it run for 24 hrs with air vaulve closed and exhaust valve open. Then eased the exhaust valve closed until the water level was right. Then eased the air valve open until I got the bubbles where I wanted them. Simple.