Anyone have a Powder Blue Tang?

scubagirl

Does anyone have a Powder Blue Tang? I see that they are classified as "difficult" is this true? Any info you have would be helpful. Thanks!!

pufferman

They are difficult fish to keep in a sense that they are more sensitive to deteriorating water conditions than other tangs. They are also very susceptible to ick, velvet, and white spot (If you've ever kept regal tang, you'll know what I mean). Other than that, they are not that hard to keep. Just make sure you provide them with a variety of diet, especially lots of greenery.

velocity

yes i have had 2 of them in the past, both had ick in a matter of days and couldnt treat them. Very weak fish but beautiful. must feed them types of greens like seaweed.

standish

I agree with the above. Also, they are one of the most active and most aggressive tangs. They need ALOT of space, frequent feedings and quite brisk water movement as well as outstanding water quality. As with any fish, quarantine is a MUST for a new purchase.

marineman

awesome looking fish! got one 5 weeks ago off this site and he is doing ok. they are not the easiest tang but if well care for can do well. I suggest a large, matured tank with lots of live rock and swimming space, uv sterilizer, protein skimmer, regular water changes, nori algae sheets, mysis/brine shrimp, pellet/flakes, vitamin supplements, brisk water movement and a long acclimation to your tank water. They are worth the effort!!

scubagirl

Thanks. I have all of thoes things but the "water changes" does that mean literally removing water and adding new or just top off's? I add about 5 gallons per week into my tank and my parameters are good. I have had such sucess with our tank that I'm reluctant to add problems. We have a fresh tank and have had ich, it SUCKS and I'd hate to have to deal with it in such a delicate system.

badkharma

You just add 5 gallons of new saltwater every week? :eek: I hope you meant freshwater. There are some that do not do waterchanges, and it is still a topic of discussion, but I'd say that over 90% of the hobbyists do waterchanges. Most respected authors also recommend it. You would draw out (siphon) a certain percentage (depending on how often) of your tank water and replace it with new saltwater. I usually do around 10% every three weeks, which most will say is on the low side, but it's what I found works best for me. Some do 10% every week, or 20% once a month. Consistency is key.

szybowski

As for ick I've found that a quality Colloidal Silver solution of 15 to 25 parts per million we kill ick or any other bacteria, viruses, and fungi with out harming a multicelled organisms. A negatively charged partical of silver one nanometer in size or smaller will destroy the enzyme required for a single celled organisms resperation thus killing it. Quality colloidal silver will only have distilled water and negatively charged particles of silver, one nanometer or smaller that has not been exposed to bright light.
To treat a fish put it into a QT or small inclosed holding container in its tank and add a tablespoon of colloidal silver per gal. then wait an hour and a half then let them go. This will work wonders for FW or SW fish and inverts. Larger amounts of colloidal silver can kill good bacteria in a filter system but that would take allot of it. It's natural with no side affects unlike drugs and it also works wonders on keeping fungas off fish eggs.

wablondie98664

i have had a pbt for just over a month now and he is doing great. everything everyone said above are good guidelines to follow with these tangs. my tank is 6 feet long and my powder blue is constantly swimming every inch of it. tangs love to graze all day so be sure to provide seaweed sheets. also i soak all the fish food in garlic to help prevent any ich outbreaks.
hth

szybowski

You can get colloidal silver at the heath food store or on the web http://www.toolsforhealing.com/produ...enerators.html for about $30 for 8 oz. which is better then nothing by far or you can make your own for almost nothing a gallon if you make or buy your own generator for like $50 to $150. I requiment a constant current generator since it makes a colloid that can be stored for longer periods and is more effective.