Anyone have a purple tang?

jambi0n

I have the opportunity to get a purple tang from my LFS.
I was just wondering if anyine out there has one and what your experiences are with them. They look really nice. Also I already have a yellow tang in my tank, so would there be any problem putting those two together?

ithorian_r

it is recommended that if you are going to keep two tangs from the same genus, this instance zebrasoma, that you add them at the same time. but even then, there is no guarantee. i wouldnt recommend it, but get some more opinions, im sure it has been done. also, what size is your tank?

crazyzeus1

From my VERY limited knowledge, putting two tangs of the same body-shape can be a problem. Not much help, but maybe a bit of info :)

jambi0n

my tank is a 90. i was reading up on it some more and that it recomeds that the purple tang be in at least 100 gal.

perk3211

I have a purple tang but the yellow might attack the purple. Try to buy the tang larger than the yellow tang. :jumping: I have a 75g so it should be okay. :joy:

unleashed

I never tried the purple tang but when it comes to dominating tangs they do attack like species or simular shapes .my scoho tore my yellow apart never left him alone if you prefer the purple over the yellow id suggest removing the yellow before adding the purple.In a 90 gal tank they will not have enough space to separate dominion.

battosai

The only thing that might help you is adding another tang of the same shape, like a Sailfin Tang. If you keep them in threes there will be less problems. If you put the Purple in the Yellow will definatelly go after it.

jambi0n

Thanks for all the advice everyone... I dont want my fish to go after each other... I might just trade in the yellow or not get the purple after all.
Also, how are they... are they pretty hardy? Has anyone had any problems with them at all?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Battosai
The only thing that might help you is adding another tang of the same shape, like a Sailfin Tang. If you keep them in threes there will be less problems. If you put the Purple in the Yellow will definatelly go after it.
Putting in three tangs? Aren't you asking for trouble...But I do have to say, I've done this myself before, they did fight at first, but after a day they all gotten along. But I wouldn't suggest it.... But getting another one in a different shape may help. Another thing would help is to move your decorations around so it seems like a brand new territory when you add in a new one. :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by jambi0n
Thanks for all the advice everyone... I dont want my fish to go after each other... I might just trade in the yellow or not get the purple after all.
Also, how are they... are they pretty hardy? Has anyone had any problems with them at all?
The Purple tangs are known to be very hardy fish, but can be problematic like any other tangs. They can kill your other fish mates if your not careful. I got some live rocks from a lady today, her SMALL scopas tang killed her LARGE Butterfly. So always be on the watch out when you add in a tang, at least for the first week, IMO after a week they should be adjusted to the envirment and their tank mates. :happyfish

puffer32

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
For what's it's worth the experts I've read say Tangs should not be kept in a tank less than 6 feet long.
There are afew you can keep in a 75 or 90, like the kole and the yellow, purples need more space so do the sailfin and naso. JMO

jambi0n

yeah, i heard that about the naso tang as well... that's why i decided to trade it in for the yellow. I really wish I had a bigger tank, like a 500 gal. Man... looking up in the sky just wishing...

Y

yetti

If you put in more than two at a time it spreads the aggression. So yes, it is doable to do three or more in one tank.

larrynews

they will fight but my understanding is that the purple are on of the most aggrassive of the tangs and if they are the same size the purple will probaly win, i have a purple with a kole tang, the kole went in after the purple so the purple chased him for a while, but with that said they are different body shapes..hth

jambi0n

that's a nice purple tang larry.
also I dont want to overstock my tank, and I don't think i'd ever put 3 tangs in my tank. don't want the tang police to bust my chops!!!

bill f

Some will say you can re-arrange your LR. The yellow already has claimed the area and introducing a new tang could be upsetting. But by re-arranging the LR it will be a new environment and others have had success in doing this. But a larger tank in the future would be ideal for multiple tangs