Anyone Have A Tank From Glasscages

lear192

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE FOAM UNDER YOUR TANK I THINK I DID SEE SOMETHING ABOUT THAT ON A WEBSITE. IS THAT SOMETHING YOU DID OR IS THAT A REQUIREMENT FOR A TANK THAT SIZE SO THE BOTTOM DOES NOT BREAK????:notsure:

acrylic51

On glass tanks most manufacturers do recommend placing the tanks on styrofoam rather than on hard plywood... It actually helps in leveling the tank as well.. With GC if you don't it will void the warranty and it states it right on the warranty card for the correct way to set the tank in place

_kip_

I am kip... i mean solonfairy... i mean.... :)
what can i do for ya? (and yep.. i have two GC tanks)

lear192

HEY KIP I MEAN solonfairy I AM JUST LOOKING TO TALK WITHEVERYONE WHO HAS A TANK FROM GC AND GET THERE FEED BACK. I AM LOOKING TO GET A TANK THAT IS 400+ AND HAVENT FOUND ANYONE THAT HAS A TANK FROM THEM OF THAT SIZE YET. THAT SIZE DO YOU HAVE AND HAVE YOU HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TANK?????
ALSO I GUESS THE MAIN QUESTION WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER TANK FROM THEM IN THE FUTURE????
THANKS DAVID

_kip_

scattered chance of CAPS LOCK in this thread isnt there?
i got my 1st GC tank (225) last July on recommendation from a guy that had set one up about a year before that. I got my 2nd one this january (75). In a couple of years i will set up a large tank..around 700+ and wouldnt think twice about getting Tom to build another one for me.
In the past GC has been discreditted for sloppy silicone jobs, etc. They do use a lot of silicone which is a good thing in my opinion. If your seams arent perfect, thats nothing a razor blade cant handle for a little trim job.
My first tank is great and the 2nd is even better. The seams on it are just as good as any other tank manufacturer. I help move and set up a handfull of tanks in the charlotte area. I have seen AGAs, Oceanics, Interamericans, and others up close and Tom's work is second to none of them.
I took some up-close shots and wrote a little thread about the 75g setup i just did with a GC tank. I would link ya, but admin here would shoot me (again).

lear192

Thanks for the reply kip but thats the kind of reply that i am looking for. Seems like everyone is pleased with there tank and its built well. I have not had the chance to look at all of these companys tanks in person. Only good thing for me is i only live one hr from gc and i am stopping buy to see Tom tommorrow to look at some tanks and options. I did talk with him a couple of days ago and he said that he will not put any plumbing in the tank jut drill the holes. What did you have drilled at the factory and will they help me with what i need to drilled????
Thanks again Kip
David
P.S. e-mail me that link lear1922000@yahoo.com

lear192

Well i did make it to Glasscages and there tanks do look great. I would be suprised if this is not the place i will have my tank build. The euro bracing was very sturty and just a all around good looking tank. I am going to put the low-e glass on my tank on the front and sides they gave me a price of 180 for the front and 75 for each side extra. For the tank i am looking at building i didnt think that was to bad. (tank size 96x31x31) Not to sure on there stands. The front openings are ok on the base but all the top has is two front pull off pieces which are the lenght and height of the top. Unless i missed something to put a large fish in or do a water change looked to me the whole canopy would have to be removed.

acrylic51

Sounds cool, haven't seen their stands and canopy's in person just pics... The tank sounds good why so deep??? 31" is deep?

S

savage21

Lear
i have the 135 and have no problems with adding fish or rock i do my water change in the bottom and the filter. i have done it in the top a 5 gal. bucket i can get all the water out but about 2 qt. if that helps BTW i use a pump to do water change in the bottom.

lear192

Well as for the height of the tank. I can just tell you i have always wanted a tank that was tall but the 31 inch height has been scaled down from a 48 inch. I am going with only 9-10 fish in the tank because of there size and with all of the live rock i am going to put in i think they will need a little extra room to swim.
The tank will only be fish and live rock so i am not worried about the light. I am going to put a closed loop circulation with four outlets so i should have no problem with circulation in a tank that tall.
But i guess the main thing is I just want. I am not rushing to build a tank in a week but i am trying to look at everything that i need with a tank that large. My timeline to put the order in for my tank is around 4 months.
As for the canopy thats very true for the water changes i guess i am still used to 75 gl where i can stick a bucket in the top.
The canopy i want is one that i can flip the top up in the air where i can get right to the lights with out taking off the hood and bend strait over the tank with a ladder or stool of course. Any ideas i should consider on my tank i would love to hear.

acrylic51

With a combination of valves on your CL depending how it's setup and plumbed your might be able to syphon water from the tank that way as well as from the sump if the plumbing is well thought out... Right now I'm trying to figure how to run plumbing from my sump so it's out of the way so I can open a valve and drain water directly from the sump to the drain line in the house... Still alot of planning, but will get it done!!!!

leona

So Acrylic51 after all we have been through and this is the way I have to see your progress...........
:mad:

:D
It's all good glad it's coming along. How's the hand today?

acrylic51

You can come over and work on the room for me !!!!!:D I'd love to be out working on the fishroom but the hand has really brought things to a hault!!!!