Anyone have expereince with a Medusa worm

mscarpena

I got a Medusa worm very cheap from my LFS and planned on putting it in my 75 gallon reef tank and my copperbanded butterfly started to eat him. I also have a 46 gallon reef tank, but my concern is it will not get enough food in the 46. Also how toxic are these guys if they die or get hurt. I did some reading on the web, but not much info. Some say they can kill all fish if they die and some say no as long as you have a skimmer which I do. If anyone has one or knows anything please let me know your experience with them. Thanks

squishy

here is a little info on your cucumber. Just a little tip for ya. Anything really cheap at the pet store that is really cool usally won't survive for a very long time. But that is just My IMO. PM me and I will send you some more info on these critters

Even without the Cuvierian tubules and their potent toxins, medusa worms have a variety of distasteful chemicals associated with the skin and body wall to protect them from being eaten by fishes, crabs and lobsters on the coral reef. Although the specific toxins associated with synaptid cucumbers are somewhat different from those of most other cucumbers studied to date (Kuznetsova et al. 1989; Ponomarenko et al. 2001), these animals are still reported to be highly toxic to fishes in marine aquaria if they are seriously injured (e.g., Delbeek and Sprung 1994; Fenner 2000; Michael undated online; Sprung 2001). In general, toxins are only released when the cucumbers are under severe stress (such as being chewed up after being sucked into a powerhead or overflow grate), and a diligent aquarist will usually prevent this from ever happening, and therefore never experience any problems with one of these animals. If however, and accident happens, and the cucumber is stressed severely enough to release its chemical defenses, then a good water change, together with an efficient skimmer and some activated carbon are usually sufficient to prevent any fish from asphyxiating from the soap-like holothurin.