Anyone have maxima's under vho?

jpribelin

Has anyone been able to keep Ultra Maximas under VHO's? I have a 75 gallon with 440 watt's of VHO's. Would I be able to have one in my tank? I already have a Derasa clam and he is doing great.

jonthefb

i think youd be ok if you had the clam higher to the lights. up in your rock work somewhere perhaps. where do you currently have your derasa?
good luck
jon

jonthefb

if you do decide to get one, place him on th esand at first, see how he does, and then gradually move him up to a nice location inyour rock. He might be ok on the sand, but just for assurance, i would get him as close to the lights as possible.
good luck
jon

striker

I would not attempt to put a maxima under that lighting. Even if it was high up close to the lights. Many times they won't even attach themselves to a rock near the top. The best chance you would have at keeping one would be to get an adult one which are more expensive but less risky. Anything under 2-3 inches would most likely never make it. Take it from someone that has had experience in the matter. I have 200 watts of lighting in my 29 gallon and that isn't enough. I've always considered upgrading my lights to mh so I could try out maximas and acropora but it hasn't been in my budget.

saltyrich

You can definately keep a squamosa and probably a crocea if placed high. The squamosa will dig in to the lr and position himself. I've got one in my 30 tall at the top and he's FULL! I've got 300 watts of VHO on my 30. I can't speak on maximas, but contrary to some opinions SOME clams and many if not most types of sps can be successfully kept under vho lighting. Placement, etc.. is very important. I know several people that keep this stuff under vhos, including myself. I don't necessarily believe the statements that say "yes you can keep clams and sps under vho, but it won't do as well as if it were under mh lighting." BULL! It can be done. Good luck.