ANyone have open top reefs???

I have been thinking about converting my reef tank into an open top look down reef with a Halide pendant fixture..
Anyone have one of these?? Got pics?? Whats the filtration??
Thanks!!
Tyler

russianspy

Mines open top, I don't have metal halide but its pretty cool looking down if the surface isn't rough, I have a HO Filter but it only circulates the water

F

fish2morow

2 of my reef tanks are open top, very cool looking down when surface is still. I have MH pendants over both. 75 and 58 gallon tanks, (2) 175 watt MH over 75 and (1) over 58. Both tanks are on the same system with 30 gallon refug, Red Sea turbo skimmer, a calcium reactor, chiller and a UV filter. No other filtration needed. Both tanks have DSB and overflow boxes to take water from tanks to refug. I also have a 29 gallon with a lid and don't like set up as well as open. Open lid help keep temps down. 75 gallon tank has been set up for over 10 years, revamped system a year ago to open lid and new filtration. Added 58 to system about 6 months ago. I don't have any pics to send sorry, haven't figured out how to reduce pics for this site yet-really no time to try....good luck!!!