Anyone here a vet or vet tech??

bluegirl

I was wondering if anyone here worked in a vet office. I've got a couple questions about my dog and I don't think that my vet is exactly "honest" with me. My great dane who is 4 months old has been diagnosed with demodex mites. The vet gave me goodwinol cream to put on her, but now they are saying that she needs dips once a week for 6-8 weeks - 50 bucks a dip! :scared: That doesn't included antibiotics and such. I've read online about using iverimacin (sp?) or another drug in pill or shot form to kill the mites. I'm wondering why my vet didn't offer these options, since IMO they would probably less costly to me and less stressful to her. I wonder if they just want to do the toxic dips on her for the money. I'll treat her no matter what it costs, and they know that. Are they taking advantage of me?

michelle l

Hey Bluegirl....go to www dot danesonline dot com (put periods in place of the "dot" of course) and do a search on demodectic mange in the health and welfare section. I'm a regular there and the topic comes up a lot. Demodectic mange, if I remember correctly, is genetic and will eventually can be outgrown as the dog ages and their immune system gets stronger.
There are alternatives to the dips. Also an emphasis should be placed on boosting the immune system though good diet, minimizing stress, etc., which can trigger the problem.
It's a wonderful site for Great Dane owners if you're willing to stick around and do some reading in the archives.

mimzy

Blue - sorry to hear of your troubles...actually, I'm still a student, and in no way qualified to make any kind of medical assessement -nor would I be allowed to by law even if I were

...HOWEVER.... I will say it's really good to hear you care enough to research on the 'net. What you found is true, there are indeed alternatives, and while I would try to give your vet the benefit of the doubt, it is quite possible your they might be trying to take advantage of you.
It is therefore my suggestion that, before saying anything else to your current vet, you take the dog in to a different practice for a second opinion. I realize that office visits are often costly, but as I'm sure you'll agree it's well worth it in the long run to you and your dog if you can find a vet with your animals' best interest in mind, as opposed to the best interest of the practice's purse. This kind of thing outrages me. Who gets into veterinary medecine wanting to make money? I mean seriously, folks. :mad:
I'm sorry I cannot be of more assistance, but Michelle's suggestion is a good one, and being that the site is specialized for Danes, there might even be something there that your vet could learn!
Please keep us updated tho - I'm anxious to hear that your baby is getting better! :joy:

danedodger

being that the site is specialized for Danes, there might even be something there that your vet could learn!
I've got a show dane and in my net searching I've found a LOT that vets could learn! Linda Arndt (The Great Dane Lady) has a really informative site too! I took her advice on puppy shots after seeing the HORRIBLE thing that can happen to danes if you give them the routine combo shots that most vets seem to prefer and the vet tech giving them about had a cow! She even threatened to report me for refusing to let her give a rabies shot before he was 6 months old! I told her to do what she had to do, I wasn't going to endanger my dog.
Some really good advice I've gotten summarized real quick:
Don't feed puppy food! Most puppy foods are "too rich" causing your dane to grow quickly which can stress joints and growth plates. You want a slow, steady growth.
Don't give rabies till they're at least 6 months old and split up shots as much as possible to avoid a reaction that mimics HOD but can be deadly!
Train them young! It may be cute when they're 20 lbs for them to jump on you for a pet or pull you along eager for a walk but it's sure not when they're over 100 lbs!! :scared:

darth tang

Also you need to pay attention to the amount of protein their diet gives them. Many of the "large breed" food I have found have to much protein. You want to be in the 21-24 % ratio from what I have read. 21 being the lowest. When they get big atleast 10 cups a day if not twelve.

danedodger

Forgot to add... I'd check into your breeder if I were you too. As mentioned, demodex is genetic so your breeder could be at fault if his/her breeding practices aren't the best. If that's the case I personally think that the breeder should at least help pay for these treatments.
Oh yes, good one, Darth!
Oh and don't let your dane eat just after getting all worked up exercising and don't exercise just after to help prevent bloat. Opinions seem to be mixed about whether raising the food dishes or not helps prevent bloat but I err on the side of caution and it just seems more comfy for him so I raise the dishes. If you use dry food add water to it just before you feed it (no need to soak it till it's soft) so that your dane doesn't get dry mouth then gulp a load of water after eating.

darth tang

Originally Posted by DaneDodger
Forgot to add... I'd check into your breeder if I were you too. As mentioned, demodex is genetic so your breeder could be at fault if his/her breeding practices aren't the best. If that's the case I personally think that the breeder should at least help pay for these treatments.
Oh yes, good one, Darth!
Oh and don't let your dane eat just after getting all worked up exercising and don't exercise just after to help prevent bloat. Opinions seem to be mixed about whether raising the food dishes or not helps prevent bloat but I err on the side of caution and it just seems more comfy for him so I raise the dishes. If you use dry food add water to it just before you feed it (no need to soak it till it's soft) so that your dane doesn't get dry mouth then gulp a load of water after eating.
Good points, Dane. Also look into adding a few vitamins and such to their diets. A lot of dog foods do not have enough of the other things needed. I add flax seed oil

[hr]
and a supplement made by solid gold with a lot of vitamins.
A reputable breeder will give you a guarantee of minimum two years for your dog. Mine all have this. At any point something happens that may be genetic I can return the animal for full refund or the breeder will pay my vet bills.

michelle l

Originally Posted by DaneDodger
Oh yes, good one, Darth!
I was going to suggest Linda's website too....I went there this morning and did a little reading on demodectic mange after this thread came up. Interestingly enough, she says that it isn't genetic in nature. I had always read that it was. I wonder if that may have started due to dogs having poor immune systems through genetics, which allows the mite to take over when the system is weak (the mite is always present on the skin)? As mentioned, shots can weaken the immune system of young puppies, leading to an outbreak of mange. Vaccination protocol is changing after much research, although many vets still insist on the old way of vaccinating. Many people simply run titers each year instead of vaccinating to make sure that their dog is still immune.
Definetely, the advice given here about protien in the diet for Dane puppies is accurate. Please research this because high protein diets in Dane pups can lead to serious growth issues. Many people mistakenly call a Dane a "Large Breed," when in actuality they are *giant breeds.* They have a whole different set of needs than large breeds. (Yeah I made a rhyme LOL!!)
I was so freaked out about bloat when I first got Neo! Later, after I determined that he had a lot of food allergy-related skin issues, I switched him to an all raw meat diet. It helped him immensly and as a bonus, I don't worry much at all about bloat anymore. Since the food isn't dry, it doesn't swell in the stomach...while my dog can still bloat, I feel that his risk is much lower. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to tell you more about that method of feeding. (It isn't for everyone.)
Oh, and Darth, I knew you were my hero for a reason!! I didn't even realize that you had Danes!!

And DaneDodger...I see you are in Texas and my Dane, Neo, came from Texas! The Dane community is a small one, so I'll ask if you know of Taro Great Danes in Houston? Neo's breeders are Sean Smith and Tammy Samples....really great people!

danedodger

I went there this morning and did a little reading on demodectic mange after this thread came up. Interestingly enough, she says that it isn't genetic in nature. I had always read that it was.
Hmmm that's strange! I've always heard/read that it was genetic too. Linda does a ton of research and study and stuff and I've always felt her information was tip top though. I'll have to go see what you're talking about on her site.
Later, after I determined that he had a lot of food allergy-related skin issues, I switched him to an all raw meat diet.
I'm a big advocate of raw diets!! I've seen them work absolute miracles on quite a few dogs when I was rescuing! Researching canine nutrition has really given me a better understanding of commercial dog foods too so I can better advise people that come into the store.
The Dane community is a small one, so I'll ask if you know of Taro Great Danes in Houston?
Yes!!! I looked at them when I was searching for my first show dane! I ended up going with Diamond Danes in St. Louis because they had a breeding out of two absolutely GORGEOUS dogs with puppies that were almost ready to go when I was ready to get one. Karen and Bernie are really great people too if you get a chance to ever meet them!

darth tang

I did the Raw diet for a while....It is expensive unless you can find a butcher willing to give deals and even free stuff occasionally. I got off of it because My Dane was lacking something in his diet. We never did determine what it was but when I made the switch I noticed his coat shined better and hee filled out more. This is probably more do to the vitamins and flax seed oil I started using but I had already switched at this point. I didn't want to switch backl and mess up their systems....so that is where I am today.
Michelle, my girlfriend is the one that got us into them. I have always loved large dogs and Danes are the best of both worlds, intimidating to strangers yet gentle to kids and environment. I am giving info based off mainly what she has told me...I handle the saltwater fish aspect and she researches the danes and wtakes care of them more so. I just play with them. I am still not sure who has the better end of the bargain...lol

darth tang

My "Rescued" dane is from The Taro danes in Houston according to the gentleman I got her from. He just could handle her and was moving so He gave her to us.

bluegirl

Wow! Lots of info, thanks to all who replied. I spoke to my breeder this afternoon, and she's says that this is the first time this problem with any of her puppies has ever been reported to her. She told me to keep her informed, get a second opinion, and that she'd help with the costs if there is an actual problem. As far as the diet goes, we feed a premium adult large breed formula. Scooby-Dee is just now 4 1/2 months old, she a great dog but is displaying behavioral problems. She likes to chew on people and steal food from counters and plates, she seems to be hard headed and likes to destroy stuff. I guess that's the life of a puppy, I just hope my house survives.

darth tang

Check the protein content on that large breed food. It may be to much, some large breed foods have upwards of 27 percent protein which is way to much and not good for them, especially as a puppy.

bluegirl

Pedigree Large Breed-22% protein
She is on the lean side and we regulate what she eats, she can't "graze" all day long.

darth tang

I used their large breed for a bit....problem is my dogs weren't gaining any weight on the pedigree...just something to watch for in the future.