Anyone ID my new eel?

watertight

Thanks again for all your advice. I'll definately take the eel back to the shop. I'd run the risk with anything but the grouper - He's so tame he's like a pet, and I'd hate to lose him to a homicidal eel! The guy I bought the tank off only sold it to me because it was like a pet to him and He wanted it to go to a good home, so I kinda owe it to him as well.
..Now to catch him without losing any fingers lol

watertight

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i dont mean to be a "killjoy" i just try to give opinion.. i dont evan tell peopl ethey should or shouldnt do anything because they get mad.. Ive learned people will do whatever they want with this hobby no matter what you tell them so i dont try to "tell" anyone anything , i just try to give my honest opinion based on my experience more than anything and then let them make the final decisions.. and no matter wehat the final decisions are in any situations i try to give people the benefit of the doubt and hope there happy..thats all that counts

I like your outlook on things - I know exactly what you mean. I've read plenty of posts from ppl who have asked questions and then argued with ppl over their answers. Seems like a huge waste of time asking someone a question if you're not gonna accept their answer! I was trying very hard not to come across as this type of person - even though I was asking if you're all sure!
Latest update is, LFS don't have a tank available to take it back atm, so I've herded it into one end of my tank and put in a plexiglass divider with lots of 1/4" holes drilled into it for water flow. I've also used a short panel of glass to ensure there are no gaps it can get through and piled up liverock against either side of it. He's in there atm, and I don't think he can escape. LFS is going to try and find a new home for him and I'll look after him in the meantime.
I have got a spare 55 gal tank I can put him in if needed, I think that would house him OK short term. He could have the whole thing to himself. If and when he looks like He's too big for it I'll try and find him a bigger home. Not the perfect solution, but it's the best I can do. Anyway, I'll enjoy having him in the meantime...now that he can't kill my grouper

topherhasaneel

Its a tesselata eel I have one and he does fine in my reef tank he doesnt bother the clownfish the octopus or anyone. Ive had him since I was ten and know im twelve and hes still living.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by topherhasaneel
Its a tesselata eel I have one and he does fine in my reef tank he doesnt bother the clownfish the octopus or anyone. Ive had him since I was ten and know im twelve and hes still living.
Wait, you have an octopus, an eel, and clownfish all in a reef?!

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Wait, you have an octopus, an eel, and clownfish all in a reef?!
That will not last long at all

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Wait, you have an octopus
, an eel, and clownfish all in a reef?!
An octopus is one of the most favored natural food items of that eel, that I have to say that I don't believe you. Post a pic, please.

mike22cha

Yes but they will all eventualy attack each other and at least one fish/invert is oging to die. Plus octo's cant go with most corals.

watertight

Anyhow, I managed to move him into the 55, He seems to be settling in there OK. He can stay a while, till the LFS or I can find him a more permanant home. I'd be happy to keep him if He wasn't going to get much bigger, still dissapointed I can't keep him (Although my wife HATES him!). The occupants of the 55 have gone in the 240 (With the divider still in place). Grouper and lion still have 6' x 2' x 2' of swimming space, clown, damsels and HT have about 2' x 2' x 2'. At least I can breathe easy now, and not worry about my big fish getting eaten!

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Russy Pelican
An octopus is one of the most favored natural food items of that eel, that I have to say that I don't believe you. Post a pic, please.
Haha, funny the things people say to look cool. Even funnier when it doesn't make you look cool, but instead, makes you look like a -tard.
"My octopus spends lots o time on his cell phone calling his BFF Tesselata!"
Okay, back to my hefeweizen.

spector101

I have a tessie with a grouper and a lionfish and they get along fairly well every once in awhile one of them will get to close and the tessie will bite them but he never leaves marks and my tessie looks alot larger then the one you have but I also have a 400 gallon tank.

hammerhed7

Even though I think the tess will eventually be the ony thing left in the tank, anyone catch the pics floating around other boards of a guy who posted pics of his bumble bee grouper with 1/2 of his 4 ft tess hanging out of his mouth as the grouper ate him? pretty impressive pics, but that grouper must have been near 24", it made his 200 gal look small.

watertight

My tess IS the only thing in the tank - He's in a 55 by himself. I'm not prepared to risk it with my grouper, he's already become a pet. I'm still trying to find tessy a new home.
Do you have any links to these pics Hammerhead?

keri

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
Haha, funny the things people say to look cool. Even funnier when it doesn't make you look cool, but instead, makes you look like a -tard.
"My octopus spends lots o time on his cell phone calling his BFF Tesselata!"
Okay, back to my hefeweizen.
funny, but anyone else notice the kid is 12? He did not specify, the octopus Could be Plastic... ( or make-believe)

On topic: Beautiful eel, I do have a thing for pretty, nasty things though ;)

hammerhed7

those would be the pics I was talking about. I have not seen the ones of the saddleback though, makes you think twice when you see the 3" saddle for $20 at the store, and consider buying it, they really get huge