anyone id this?

chevytrks

this critter is about 2 inches long, resembles a nudibranch but it is not.
is it reef friendly or should i catch it?

jonthefb

where did/does this guy hang out? do a search for nudibranchs posted by RyeBread....the nudi in your pic looks awefully farmiliar to one that he found in his tank eating his leathers!
good luck
jon

jonthefb

dangit why dont links to old threads work???? am i doing something wrong???
anyhow search subjects nudibranchs with ryebread as user
and als search for this name Tritonopsis elegans!
should get ya somewhere!
good luck
jon

T

thomas712

Have seen that critter before, got softies in the tank? I believe they like to eat softies.
Thomas

chevytrks

you guys have better pics than i took, thats what it is , and yes i have softies, leathers, and colts
guess ill try to catch him next time i see him

jonthefb

be careful, because they reproduce quickly...i think rye was having problems with them eating his softies and after he found one, he started looking around and then found like three more i think!
good luck
jon

chevytrks

thanks for the advice so quickly guys, i saw him out again and i quickly caught him and made him a treat for my puffer in my aggressive tank.
i'll keep an eye out for anymore

sammystingray

Coral eaters often store the toxins of the corals they eat....I would have flushed him. I don't think this ones too bad, but you should never take a chance with nudis and cukes IMO.

sammystingray

BTW, just for the record since someone said "filter feeder, and I am guessing it was due to the appendages on his back.....nudibranch translates to "nudi" being "

[hr]
":D , and "branch" which is breathing or "gills" in this case.....so it means "

[hr]
gills". Those are exposed gills on his back. I can see how someone could look at one and think they filter feed, but they basically breathe with those. Just sharing some useless info. :D

aarone

awww sammy, no one can do everything, but everyone can do something!
LOL i love useless info.
aaron

ryebread

Good thing you got that thing out of there! Hopefully you won't find anymore of them........I kind of expect you to find more.....I did. As mentioned, they eat leathers like you and I drink a glass of water.
Here are a couple of pics I got of the ones I had in my reef a while back.

ryebread

Night shot while I was still hunting the beast..........they actually move pretty quickly when they want to.

sammystingray

Originally posted by aarone
awww sammy, no one can do everything, but everyone can do something!
LOL i love useless info.
aaron

OK, here's some more....I believe
their "poop shoots":D are in the center of the gills.....:D :D It's nice to be human.:)