Anyone in missouri ??

fats71

I am lookin for people in my area specifically the Saint robert area right off the army post or on..

mariobros555

i am in the midwest part of missouri i have a 55g tank and had fish in it for one year. and still have 3 of the original four fish i bought.

U

underdasea

I'm from Jefferson City and make it to the FLW area once a month or so. Let me know if you are having problems that you want someone to look at and I'd be happy to stop by.

fats71

Very cool. I am always into more suggestions etc and was thinking about a swf club in this area or if your in one where is it etc.
I also wanted to find out about some LFS in our area. I have been to them all in springfield and well im not impressed at all. I went to ***** in osage and a guy there was very helpful but he also fed me some misinformation but if you want just a few things its neat and clean and the tanks look great.
The best one I found is in saint louis hit it this weekend planet reef or something like that them guys were great and told me to buy my rocks off swf.com etc and said they have great stufff which I thought was cool of them to do. I picked up some stuff swf.com doesnt carry and have called them daily they treated me like I spent 100k in there and still do so if your lookin to just check one out try it.
If you have any LFS you would suggest to go and just look att lemme know the wife and I and boy are always just sayin lets drive somewhere...

lexluethar

I'm in springfield mo and i'm not impressed with the stores around here either. They just built this place on battlefield accross from the mall near glenstone, i've heard decent things about them but haven't been inside. I may go there this weekend, i'll let you know what i think.
WHere is that place in STL?

fats71

right off of 270. if ever interested in going lemme know im on the way :0 I loved it man its like a room full of nothing but clean awsome huge tanks. I think it is dorset exit. and if you ever wanna go lemme know. I dont smoke very little cursing unless I smash my hand and my wife is a psych therapist so im almost cured of being crazy !!!
That is thhe onlys tore I have not been to there. the cichlid one was ok and the guy was nice enough but he is HUGE overpriced the down the street from bass pro.
i went to the chain store off of kearney by thhe wal-mart super center and their live rock looked like a sewer pond. I askedd the people hey how long has that been in there they said well I think about a year and no one has ever touched it... I was like wow I can tell its sick looking...

lexluethar

Ya i go to Chilid's and salt - mostly for their water and fish. Their inverts and corals are extremely over priced. Although it is worth the purchase when you want only a few things - like on SWF.com you have to but a TON of things to get an online purchase, which is a great when you are starting out, and you can't beat the price per creature. But when I only want 5 hermits, or two crabs, or two clowns the better prices is the LFS (although per creature it is more).
He is extremely helpful and nice, but like you said a bit pricey and I wish there would be a little more time spent on "appearance."
270 and what? 270 and 44, 270 and 70, 270... you get the point, it goes around the entire city, which exit, better yet what part? South county? West, North? I go up there every other month or so, i'm from there and still have a lot of family and friends in St. Louis. I'll PM you next time I go up there.

lexluethar

Where you an MP? Or do you just like in the area? I had a friend that graduated from Leonardwood a few years back.

cpg

Im in St. LOuis. Plenty of stores here. Planet Reef, Tropical World Pets, Pet Market Place, *****, Gateway Aquatics, Marine Solutions, Beltzs, and Aqua World to name a few.

U

underdasea

Because I travel on business, I have been to nearly every single store in the state of Missouri that has salt displays. When I say every store, I mean I have spent time in pretty much EVERY store in the state.
As far as ***** is concerned, avoid that place like the plague for livestock purchases. Their livestock is diseased and can cause you far more problems than what its worth. If you're just picking up media replacements, flake food, etc., ***** or other chain places are fine.
As far as Cichlids and Salt (in Springfield close to Bass Pro) is concerned, John is a nice guy with a wide variety of SWF - however I question the health of his fish. The Pet Warehouse store that was mentioned is WAY overpriced and has unhealthy stock that is not fit to sell.
There are 2 places in Springfield that I'd trust - one is called Midwest Exotic Imports and the other is Tropical ???? in Republic. Both of these stores are focused primarily or solely on SWF and have healthy fish and coral to sell.
Other than that, the GOOD LFS in the state (healthy fish, good water clarity, knowledgable employees) are very limited. In the St. Louis area, Clayton Pet Emporium is a great (but expensive) store as well as Beldt's Aquarium. Marine Solutions in St. Charles is okay, but I've seen more than one dead fish in their tanks. In the Kansas City area, Midwest Reefs (Gladstone) is a phenomenal store (with crystal clear water, great prices, and a fantastic owner who is a true hobbyist). Fish World (in Independence) has good stock, and Paradise Aquatics and Aquarium Wholesale on the Kansas side of KC have impressive displays worth the trip to look at. Paradise Aquatics has GINORMOUS display tanks that you can watch for hours, but you have to be fairly careful with stock purchases from them.
Other than that, I think I've been to almost every other one that I can think of and find. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have or point you in the right direction (although I'm constantly learning new things myself).
Welcome to the board and the hobby.

U

underdasea

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2481503
Ya i go to Chilid's and salt - mostly for their water and fish. Their inverts and corals are extremely over priced. Although it is worth the purchase when you want only a few things - like on SWF.com you have to but a TON of things to get an online purchase, which is a great when you are starting out, and you can't beat the price per creature. But when I only want 5 hermits, or two crabs, or two clowns the better prices is the LFS (although per creature it is more).
He is extremely helpful and nice, but like you said a bit pricey and I wish there would be a little more time spent on "appearance."
270 and what? 270 and 44, 270 and 70, 270... you get the point, it goes around the entire city, which exit, better yet what part? South county? West, North? I go up there every other month or so, i'm from there and still have a lot of family and friends in St. Louis. I'll PM you next time I go up there.
Take the Dorsett Rd. Exit (I think it's Exit 17 on 270). Turn East on Dorsett Rd. and go about 2 miles or so to Fee Fee Rd. Turn Left on Fee Fee and take that about a mile until you see a plaza on the right side of the road. Planet Reef is in that plaza (but their livestock is questionable).

U

underdasea

Originally Posted by CPG
http:///forum/post/2481522
Im in St. LOuis. Plenty of stores here. Planet Reef, Tropical World Pets, Pet Market Place, *****, Gateway Aquatics, Marine Solutions, Beltzs, and Aqua World to name a few.
If you're looking for just tanks or accessories, Tropical World in Webster Groves has a wide selection and variety. Gateway Aquatics and Aqua World seemed to be a little overpriced.

socal57che

Not to hijack or anything, but can I put in a request for an AR-15 lower receiver.
I'm from KC but have lived in Warrensburg, Columbia, Independence, Clinton...anyway they are hard to get out here. I'm coming back to KC for Easter.

U

underdasea

Actually I know a couple of folks you can get one of those from. PM me your info and we'll talk.

fats71

I am a hobbiest in the gun realm and have many to choose from. i just so happen to have just been in kc and purchased a ar-15 for 500 bucks two days before x-mas from one of the local offficers who needed some extra money. I sold it within 2 hours for 900 was worth the drive plus my sister and I are from there and all my exd-wifes are there and um blah blah blah..
Anyway, planet reef you think the fish are questionable ? I am new to this but from the 15 plus stores I have been in lately its been like a small piece of heaven. The rock. I also like their setup its nice to be able to walk all the way around the tanks and the guys there are awsome I called them three times today with ammonia levels etc they called me back on one occassion long distance for thirty minutes to help me out. I think thats cool when they pay to help a fella out who only spent 200 bucks in their store... they also told me they have a guy they help in springfield and on the way thru they would stop by my house and check out my system and help me out with anything if I wanted I'll buy them lunch or something I mean who can beat that kind of service...
Anyway cichlads and salt the guy was nice enough but wow he is huge over priced on koralia.. I paid 20 bucks more there then they are anywhere... His other stuff was rather pricey as well I asked about the rock and said um its like this price everywhere else and he said I DO MY OWN THING LOL. I was like ok well i'll do mine then.
as far as directions take 44 east to 270 go about 7 or so miles maybe closer to 10 and dorset exit. turn right and go down till you see a q-trip on the left take that left go down the big hill and you will see i think its midland or something shopping center look in it and you will see their glowing signs.
Anyway, if anyone is going to be going on a shopping trip in st louis and is ccomin thru this way lemme know I would love to seee the other shops. If they are better than Planet reef im totally in for a euphoric day.

mariobros555

i livve in the clinton area we have a place called american aquariums he is very knowledgable and helpful but he is only open late afternoons and evenings but i have gotten virtually everything i have from him.

socal57che

Originally Posted by mariobros555
http:///forum/post/2482211
i livve in the clinton area we have a place called american aquariums he is very knowledgable and helpful but he is only open late afternoons and evenings but i have gotten virtually everything i have from him.
Is your last name Piccoli?

fats71

I sold a house on payton street it hink it is across from thhe caseys behind the strip mall in clinton. I am in warsaw some my brother in law and his girfriend have a place there and in ocseola my aunt and uncle have a place so I am up there there a bit. I also deer hunt openining day of gun season I spend that weekend there.