Anyone in the NYC area using an ro/di unit

nel621

I am curious if anyone who uses one of the ro/di units and PAYS for water,can tell me how much it increased your water bill.Water and sewer rates are going up.For my 2 family house about $175 per qtr.6 people total taking showers,dishwasher,laundry [kids clothes always dirty]plus I like to wash my own cars [5 total].So how much more did this GOOD water cost you?

sign guy

I dont live in NYC but you souldnt see any difference in your water bills. how much water do you need a week?

nel621

I have a 75g and will move evrything over to a 135g.I currently use tap water with a dechlorinator[not the best situation but it works for me].I would like to buy an ro/di unit as I sometimes get a hair algea outbreak on one or two pieces of rock.I feed sparingly and my lights are only on about 4 hours a day[evenings].It's that waste water thing that gets me.Maybe it's not so bad.Need to have some water on hand for top off and of course for water changes.You can turn these things off when you have enough water in storage,yes?

harlequinnut

I used to have a ro/di until it broke down a couple of years ago. While I had it, my water bill went up about 30 to 40 dollars(quarterly). Not excessively high in my opinion. Keep in mind I was also saving the waste water for my laundries. I also save on buying drinking water since I got the best water money can buy.

harlequinnut

My unit came with a 3 or 5 gallon(don't remember) storage tank. Once the tank is full, the unit stops running.

nel621

Thanks for the info.How did you save/store the waste water?Did you run the waste line into your washing machine?I would think you would need an auto shut off valve in there.

harlequinnut

I had the waste line in a 5 gallon bucket in the laundry sink. When the bucket fills up I emptied it into the washing machine. Even if the bucket overflows the water would only run down the drain.