Anyone kept a bunch of dwarf angels together in the same tank?

rotarymagic

I'm going to try to do the following:
lemonpeel angel
flame angel
coral beauty angel Already have
singapore angel Already have
bicolor angel Already have
Keep in mind I keep all the dwarf angels I currently have together without any fighting and none were introduced at the same time, I do fear that the flame and lemonpeel might give me some issues though as they're typically the more intolerant of other dwarf angels. Maybe I'll push my luck and get a rusty too....
This is all going in my 144halfcircle as soon as I get it completely cycled. I've got the 3 dwarf angels above "QTing together" in a 20long with a bunch of rock... I was testing how intolerant they'd be of each other in closed quarters. 3 weeks so far so good... no nipping or chasing even.
I'm going to add a powder brown tang to the mix too..
Do you guys think 6 dwarf angels (if I got the rusty too), 1 powder brown tang, 1 hippo tang (maybe), 1 purple tang (maybe), a red sea regal angel (must have!!!!) would be too much bioload even with a good skimmer, fuge, phosban reactor, carbon reactor, and weekly/biweekly water changes? I've got 150lbs of live rock in the display with lots of caves to break line of sight and provide the wish the opportunity to swim in and out of them.
I want alot of different colors in the tank.

flricordia

Sounds like you are in for a lot of stressed out fish. Good luck with that tank. Hope they make an exception that I don't believe has been made before in that small a tank and get along without setting up territories and tearing each other up. Keep us updated.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2719146
Sounds like you are in for a lot of stressed out fish. Good luck with that tank. Hope they make an exception that I don't believe has been made before in that small a tank and get along without setting up territories and tearing each other up. Keep us updated.
Are you talking about the 20long or 144? The angels are going in the 144 in less than 2 weeks....

mantisman51

Wow! You are quite adventurous. Everything I've read says not to put angels together, unless it's a very large tank. After they have been in the 144 for a while, make sure to update us. I have a 125 and am only going to keep one angel because of the territorial nature of the beasts. At least that is what I've read several places, I've only had 1 angel at a time.

spanko

A quick blub from Bob Fenner on this subject:
Adding more than one Centropyge to your system? Do try to place them at the same time; or if that's not probable, make sure the new arrival is bigger (or female gender if discernible) and rearrange the decor to disorient the current tenants.
Predator/Prey Relations
Some species of pygmy angels are heavily predated in the wild, explaining a great deal of their secretive nature. Tankmates with mouth openings large enough may well take them in the day or night.

paintballer768

SWF makes you agree to a thing saying you know putting two angels in the same system is a bad idea. 5 is going to be interesting.

rad

you should have an acrylic guy make you a good sized box with holes in it on all sides so you can just put the fish in there and hang it on the inside of your tank so the other fish cant get to it but they can still see it. hopefully after a couple weeks in there you will be able to introduce it in to the tank and they will get along. hopefully. also you could take one out if it becomes aggressive and put it in your QT and then reintroduce it later and hopefully that will change its aggression. good luck. and no I dont think that would be too many fish.

flricordia

Originally Posted by rad
http:///forum/post/2719612
you should have an acrylic guy make you a good sized box with holes in it on all sides so you can just put the fish in there and hang it on the inside of your tank so the other fish cant get to it but they can still see it. hopefully after a couple weeks in there you will be able to introduce it in to the tank and they will get along. hopefully. also you could take one out if it becomes aggressive and put it in your QT and then reintroduce it later and hopefully that will change its aggression. good luck. and no I dont think that would be too many fish.
But the only thing with that is the fish that set up territories will attack/kill the fish once it enters their turf after being released. The turf holders will leave it alone while it is in the box, thinking it is staying out of thier territories.
Rotarymagic. I was refering to the 144. Half circle 144 doesn't have much surface area to it. You would have to have lots of hiding places, and that is what the less dominant angels would do, hide, become stress, ich laden, eventually die. Not a happy situation for the fish at all. May look nice to have several different angels close together, but not healthy for the fish.

vivioo7

[QUOTE=Half circle 144 doesn't have much surface area to it. You would have to have lots of hiding places, and that is what the less dominant angels would do, hide, become stress, ich laden, eventually die. Not a happy situation for the fish at all. May look nice to have several different angels close together, but not healthy for the fish.
+1 that coral beauty will get destroyed by the flame angel

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by vivioo7
http:///forum/post/2720229
+1 that coral beauty will get destroyed by the flame angel
Seriously??? I was going to get a much smaller flame angel and introduce it after the coral beauty goes in... and the lemonpeel after that... I think I'm going to sell my singapore since it has a similar color scheme to the bicolor, but not as vibrant.
I know I'm taking a bunch of risks, but I understand that I'm risking alot. I don't know if that makes me dumber than this lady at an LFS that got a 34gallon RSM put a volitans lion fish in there after a yellow tang, 2 clowns, and a sixline... LOL that was a very funny story in its own right.

flricordia

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2720551
Seriously??? I was going to get a much smaller flame angel and introduce it after the coral beauty goes in... and the lemonpeel after that... I think I'm going to sell my singapore since it has a similar color scheme to the bicolor, but not as vibrant.
I know I'm taking a bunch of risks, but I understand that I'm risking alot. I don't know if that makes me dumber than this lady at an LFS that got a 34gallon RSM put a volitans lion fish in there after a yellow tang, 2 clowns, and a sixline... LOL that was a very funny story in its own right.
Not as much as the angels.

rad

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2720160
But the only thing with that is the fish that set up territories will attack/kill the fish once it enters their turf after being released. The turf holders will leave it alone while it is in the box, thinking it is staying out of thier territories.
this may be true, but that is if you assume a fishes territory has less than a two or three foot diameter, giving the other fish two or three feet of swimming room. or none if it chooses to be aggressive. but the thing is on the reef the whole tank isnt going to be nearly the size of its territory. so in reality the tank is its territory and it is in its territory once you put the other fish in the tank and it most likely will be attacked, for obvious reasons, Im just trying to cut that out. After its in your 'wall tank' for a couple weeks I would float it in a gerbil ball so you could get some movement out of him and see if he gets attacked like you insist. and once you release him watch the other fish and take out the most aggressive one, QT him and reintroduce him in a couple weeks. hopefully things will have calmed down. Im not saying my plan is fool proof, Im just giving constructive comments to someone and trying to help them be successful at something they want to do.
and for the record, I know of a couple tanks with a coral beauty and a flame angel, all fine. Im not saying this is something I would try, because it is not. Its not even something I recommend doing, but it can be done.

rldavisou

I'll definitely be watching this thread because I have a coral beauty and my wife REALLY wants a flame angel when our new tank gets all set up.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by InvertCrazy
http:///forum/post/2721714
This sounds like a ticking time bomb
Not only sounds like one , it is one. This MIGHT work for a little while, but the odds of 5 dwarf angels lasting long term must be 1000 to 1.

rotarymagic

My coral beauty, singapore, and bicolor get along just fine STILL....If I end up trying to do that original plan, the flame will be much smaller and so would the lemonpeel...

ynotme4886

Actually a few of the dwarf angels can crossbreed. If you check the complete book of butterfly and angelfish it has a list and pics of the hybrids.
I think the ones that will crossbreed are:
Lemon peel
ebili
halfback
bicolor ??
and I think there might be 2 more. I am trying to go from memory. Will check it when I get home
Sorry I cant give you more info but am at work. The book is a great investment for anyone into angelfish.

From personal experience, I have never heard of even 2 dwarf angels in a tank, but I am surprised by 5. You also mentioned you wanted a couple tangs too? In my book, you're heading for trouble. If you're sure about the tangs, definitely introduce them last, after a small flame or lemonpeel....... good luck on the tank.....