Anyone kept or tried to keep carnation corals?

L

lbaskball

Has anyone here have kept or tried to keep or keeping carnation corals? I have a yellow carination coral. I know that they are very hard to keep.
I want to know if anyone is an expert at keeping them and how long they have been keeping them. Please post any pictures if you have any carnation corals. I have kept mine for almost 3months now.
If anyone want to see any pictures..please click on the thread below

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/196499/my-new-24gal-nano-dx

shoreliner11

From the pic it looks like yours is from the genus Scleronepthya. The species in Dendronephthya are generally called Carnations but no matter. People tend to say that the Sclero's are easier than the Dendro's but not too much success has been had with either to prove it. Have you noticed any growth or any branches falling off? Branches falling off can be a sign of the coral delaying death by reducing the amount of energy needed for maintenance and also spreading the buds to hopefully find more suitable habitat. I only actually kept a Dendronephthya for a short time because it was a kind of rescue attempt from some lfs friends. It never actually opened enough to feed so that didn't exactly work. I did feed my gorgonians frozen rotifers and cyclop-eeze as well as dosed the tank with phyto 2-3 times a week. Gorgonians did great off that. Doesn't do much for the water chemistry though :). Good luck with it. Keep us updated on how it goes.
Good on ya
Aaron

L

lbaskball

Hey thanks for the reply.
I hope you checked out my picture of my carnation coral on that link that i put above. Yes my carnation corals have been growing. They are becomming bigger and bigger. One of them has grown so much that it is touching the sand. Also im noticing new carnation branches comming out of the rock. I have had it for almost 3months now. It tends to stretch out and get big at night. During the day it is closed. I heard thats how they are..i am not sure. Nothing has fallen off yet. How long were you able to keep yours until yours died?
Thanks for the reply.
PS In case you didnt get to see any pictures, here is a picture of my carnation coral. I have about 6more branches on my rock, this is just one big one.