anyone know about a moonlight?

reefnut

Originally posted by lesa
I guess I will have to wait for xmas to roll around:( Went to walmart tonight and they do not have any.
But you can bet I will get some somewhere:D

Did you look in the section where the light bulbs are? Our wal-mart carries them year around.

tlk

not the best picture in the world, but the best I could get out of my camera. Much better live. I agree with the comments below, it is really cool to watch it at night with the lights out.

i got rope lights tonight from walmart. they were $12. they are call hi lites indoor/outdoor. i have quick ? The blue ones are actually a blue green color when on iwas woundering if this spectrum would bother the fish if i left them on all night or if it was in spectrum they filer out

krishj39

cichlidguy, I'm sure a blue-green spectrum won't bother anything. It really isn't much light at all. I'd imagine you get some green color because the bulbs they use emit yellow/orange spectrum, so through the blue plastic you get a green tint. No biggy.

well i got 2 of these 12 ft strans wired in my hood it but i have a 125gal 6ft long it looks really cool and all the shrimp and hermits move around alot but havent seen to much else goin on

I did it! I ran 12 ft of the blue rope lights yesteday, but have a heat concern. Does anyone else feel that these may get too warm being clipped to the wood canopy? Duing the day would not concern me because of the fans kicking in, but at night? Or am I just being a scared new parent?
Thanks

N

newbienz

Just finished making mine with an LED and switch :D
Testing it out in my 3gal. The red dots in the pic are from my camera.

zap800

well about the heat problem.............dont worry. they are attatched to my wooden deck for years and i have never had or heard of a heat problem with them. they are ul listed for being attatched to a wooden wet surface and deemed safe. if you were willing to spend 12 on those you could have biult a set for half that and it would have been lighting the tank in the correct spectrum. you should light it in the 420-470 nano meter band. those rope lights are not in that spectrum. so all you are doing is lighting the tank with a blue light. if you light the tank with the correct spectrum the corals will "theoreticly" still keep being of use to the corals and fish. But the light wavelength thinking is just a theory and i have never read any concrete evidence to support this theory but i sounds and reads like it make sence. there are extensive threads in the diy section here on the subject of moon lights.