Anyone Know anything About a Brittle Star

mjhulik

I have had a brittle starfish for about 4 years now and I've noticed that his tenticles have been falling off, I've never seen him do this before is this normal or is he dieing? Any help would be helpful.
Thank to all
mjhulik

S

sinner's girl

I had mine since dec 2001, he died last week. I still don't know what cause him to deterate in the first place, I messed with the sg, it was way too low and he never recovered...
However, stars can regrow. Mine did the first time. We moved, the water spiked, he's legs shrunk, he stayed in the lr, didn't get when I'd try to feed it. I kept the lights off on his side of the tank and left him alone, a few months later he legs went from 3 inches to 6 inches, and he was bigger than before.
What are your water parimeters?
Check you water, am, nitrites, nitrates, ph, alk, sg, temp, ect. When was your last water change? Any change in the water lately? A sudden change can cause stress, which you may not see till a little while later.
Has they been any change in your tank? Anything to stress him out? Is he eatting? When was the last time you fed him? Have you tried feeding him lately? is someone bothering him? is he acting different? Is he losing legs, dropping the actual leg, or just getting smaller?

ophiura

It is imperative to know more about your specific tank parameters -
SPECIFIC WATER PARAMETERS...this is absolutely necessary
Recent water changes or fluctuations in the tank.
How often do you feed this star?
What do you feed it?
This is NOT normal but it does not mean the animal is dying. It means it is most likely severely stressed. We just need to figure out why that may be the case.

mjhulik

Please help us our Brittle Star loses more of it's already short legs everyday. Today the legs are verily a 1/2" long and the disc of the star is getting bigger and bigger and at times look as if a heart would look when beating. Very strange looking. Besides losing all of it's legs this is making me sick. I have definitely noticed the disk is very enlarged and I am so concerned about him. He is at least 4 years old and just did a water change 3 days ago when I found out he was sick looking. Should I buy him special food? HELP!!!!!

ophiura

PLEASE READ MY POST ABOVE.
It is imperative to know more about the tank situation to help. If it will eat, PLEASE FEED IT. But otherwise I need to know much more about your tank water quality parameters!!!!!