Anyone know odyssea website? NEED TO REPLACE BALLAST

brucewrs

Well they sent me a new ballast.What a pain in the --- because I had to cut and splice all the wires. There was no extra wire in the light so splicing it was a pain.It works now hopefully it will last more than 2 weeks.

brad1968

SCSInet
Geez man, thanks for all the help. I'm actually looking forward to this project. I'm not totally inept so I should be able to follow your instructions.
So all I need to purchase is:
Coralife 2 x 96w PC ballast unit, two bulbs (square pin)
If I'm going this far to replace the entire lighting system, would you recommend any better lighting (Maybe I'm over my head)??
bruce
Do you have the odyssea phone number? Email address? I was unable to find it. Perhaps I'll try one last option: purchase a drop in unit from them??
...Though it sounds like I should go with better quality equipment and refit the ballast instead of using the odyssea.

brucewrs

I bought the light from Aqua traders.So that is who I called and they sent me a new ballast.Here is the number 1-800-970-2782.Maybe they have the number for Oddysea.

scsinet

Well, the first thing I'd do is try doing exactly what Brucewrs did... call AquaTraders and try to see if you can get the right ballast. Worth a shot.
Second, you could consider upgrading. I build all my own lighting myself, so I really can't recommend one brand over another.
Third, you can do what we've been talking about... replace the entire unit. Here's Coralife's web site contact info: http://www.esuweb.com/contact.asp
I'd call them first, and find out whether or not what we're talking about doing will work... run your two 96w straight pin PCs. Maybe they can even point you to an owners manual, technical drawing, or even better, a schematic so we can be sure.
You might seriously consider option 2 here. Lighting is expensive, but the Odyssea stuff is pretty low quality. It might be "telling you" it's time to move on up. The lighting system you have will make a great backup system if the halides are still functional....

brad1968

Quint
I called at and they were able to find a generic balast that should be compatible. I'm going to try to replace the current one and I'll let you know how it goes. My next step will be to call coralife.