Anyone know the lifespan of a Royal Gramma??

goofieones

Hey,
Anyone know the lifespan of the Royal Gramma? I was just wondering.... especially since they are known to be prone to ich.

firefishguy45

I've heard that they can live up to 3 years. I've had one for about a year now and he's doing fine. He hasn't ever come down ick either.

goofieones

That is good to know, I just got mine like a week ago, and on the first day he started swiming around the tank and he doesn't really go in his hole much, he seems really happy. :)

jacrmill

hopefully long. i just spent $15 on one. he looks good and healthy, and hopefully it stays that way for a long time, cause hes a really cool fish.

dawn

I had one, but he had ick when I brought him home! had to take all my fish out of my main tank and put them in Quarantine. He ended up dying in the Q-tank. only had him for 3 months. Now I know to quarantine all fish!!
they say even though you dont see the spots on them, the ick starts "inside". fish have there immune system up to prevent it, but when they get stressed it causes the outbreak. My fish get to go back in the main tank tommorrow! cant wait! going to get more fish saturday, but they are going in quarantine too!! for 23 days, with coppersafe.

grouperhead

my lfs has had one in there show tank for around 7-8 years. my guess though for average lifespan would be from 3-5 years. grammas are awesome. good luck with yours! later, bo

yvetterich

I have 2 in my tank now for about 2 mos. a male and female. I know they say you are only supposed to have one per tank, but they really seem to get along quite well. the male won't go anywhere without the female! its really funny!

guppie

I have had mine for over a year, and no problem at all. eats great and gets along with everyone else in the tank.

yvetterich

I just found out that I do NOT have 2 royal grammas but 2 FALSE grammas. They are bright light purple from hear to mid body and bright yellow mid body to tail. they look just like the royal but different colors. Still great fish though! :eek:

nomar g

I can't say how long a R. Gramma, specifically, will live but many fish can live for 10-20 years. Maybe Grammas fit into this category. I have a fish now that is 12 years old and still going strong. Good luck and long live the Gramma.