Anyone know what this is?

aaronc0311

This guy came in on a rock. He only comes out at night, when we shine a light on him he shrivels up in roughly 10-15 seconds. If the pictures are not good enough let me know and I will try and take some better ones, but they probably wont get any better as our camera is old. For scale... he is around 3/4inch from end to end and opens up to about the size of a dime.
Thanks!
Attachment 222275
Attachment 222276

aaronc0311

The color and behavior is not right for aiptasia. I will have to look into this peanut worm thing. Whatever it is, it is not harmful to anything else at the moment. Will it ever be harmful? Anymore replies are appreciated!
Thanks!

yearofthenick

Peanut worms don't have tentacles like that though. At the same time, aptasia shouldn't react negatively to light.... aptaisa shouldn't care. It looks like aptasia to me. If it were my tank, I would try to remove it. It can't be good.

aaronc0311

I am sure it is not aptasia, unless it is some rare breed that I have not seen before. Most of the ones that I have seen are semi-brown in color, multiply semi-rapidly, and do not react to light. I am not sure what I am going to do. He came in with the rock in November of 08 and has not been a pest so far. He has not grown at all and really only pops out at night. After looking up peanut worms on the net, I am not sure that this guy is a peanut worm either. He is attahced to the rock and has been since I put it in the tank. At this point I dont think I will remove it... unless someone can give me a 100% ID and I can research the ID as well. Any other comments or clues as to what this guy might be are appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

jackri

Doesn't look like a peanut worm or aiptasia --- but if it's not bothering anything (or spreading) I think it would be cool to keep (an eye on as well).

yearofthenick

If it hasn't multiplied for months and is non-photosynthetic, it's CERTAINLY NOT aptasia. I'm super interested to see what it turns out to be. I've never seen anything like it. So cool!