Anyone Live in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

J

jbhumphreys

Hi everyone. I am new to this board and South Florida. I am looking for a great store to purchase saltwater fish and maybe a new 125-150 gallon tank. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I have gone to some of the local Ft. Lauderale stores, but none really seem to have a very good selection. Where is the best place to buy a new tank and all the accessories?
Thanks in advance for any help you provide :)

ocellaris_keeper

Yo! the last time I was in Miami I went onto Florida. and searched for marine fish and there's a marine pet store on every corner. I'm pretty sure it's the same way in Ft. Lauderdale.

twoods71

If you want to take a small drive up to Boca Raton there is a great store off of Glades Rd. called the barrier reef.
Also in Plantation there is a store that also sells online but I will not mention that one because they are direct competition to this site.

jbhumphreys
I'm just south of Boca Raton, in Lighthouse Point. I agree with twoods on the Barrier Reef, so far I have bought 95% of my stuff from them. There is another store in Boca as well on Federal Highway, just 2 blocks north of Yamato Rd. just before Jeffery street (name slipps my mind right now)
Some other stores are supposed to be in Pompano and FtLauderdale, but so far every time I have gone out and looked for any of them I've come up empty handed.
Twoods,
Can you e-mail me the address for the store in plantation? I'm just curious to see what they offer
Dan

J

jbhumphreys

Thanks for the info guys. Really apprecaite it. I will give them a call and get there store hours. Mabe take a drive up next weekend. I would also like to know the store in Plantation you mentioned. If it is Aquarium Connection, I have been there and was not impressed. Would not recommend the place.
Thanks gain!
jbhumphreys@eritter.net

mo168

Where is Barrier Reef store? I live in fort lauderdale and could like to go there visit and see..
The one you mention in Fort Lauderdale (Plantation @ University Dr) is kinda expensive, a small ploys rock cost me $15 and 2 Neon Goby cost $35..
Sugguestion?

twoods71

Barrier Reef.
Take 95 north to glades rd.
Go east on glades past FAU to 2nd.
Go north on 2nd. There are 2 left turn lanes for this street and is just over a small hill.
Continue on second for about 1 mile maybe less and the store is on the left a little before the light.

galina

Sorry to bump this up.. but I live in Parkland, which is rigth beside Boca. I shop at Saltwater Inovations, online=saltwaterinovations.com..
Any other FL SW aquariusts?
Galina

kijak

Hi, Barrier Reef is a great store. I was there last weekend. being from Minnesota, I don't get to Boca Very often, ( Grandparents Winter there ) But I go there each time I take a trip to visit the grandparents, They live Right behind barrier reef, less then a block away. Barrier Reef has some Huge Tanks. I really thought the live rock and coral would be special there but it was high priced and mediocre in quality of life. Grandparents sold there condo this year so I most likely never get a chance to return.
Jack

saltylake

Barrier reef is a great store with alot of quality. But if you are from miami you should check out Gables aquarium. Is there anyone here from miami that is interested in trading corals????? get back to me at Vincelago@yahoo.com

bret61081

The barrier reef is a great store...but another great store here in Fort Lauderdale is Exotic Aquotic. He is on Oakland Park Blvd about a mile east of 95 on the North side of the road. I have been searching and searching for a white ghost eel and no one has been able to get it in...and when I asked the Owner there, Rob, within 2 weeks he had it for me...its an awesome store and great prices! there is also Fish paradise on hallendale blvd west of 95 and All sea life on Pembroke Road just west of 95 as well. but by far...the best service I have EVER gotten is at Exotic Aqutic....
also there is a fish show this coming weekend here in Ft Laud
http://www.fmas1955.org/index.html

connor

thats so funny......... i bought every thing from that store its the best...... i live like 7-8 mins from there.......i love it the best ever.........in ft. lauderdale theres a place called JAWZ.NET...........Horrible all the fish wont ,eat sick, just sad! i cant get enough of barrier reef itz the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! :D there so nice there i walk in and they all say hi connor i love them

nicodakat

Reef's Edge is another good store in Ft.Lauderdale. It's on 4707 Orange Drive in Davie. They are quite knowledgable and have good prices.

fishnerd

Its been a while since my Broward days, but my favorite was Fishes Paradise, Hallandale Beach Blvd. Small, but healthy livestock and helpful staff.

bret61081

I heard them talking about this Big Al's place the other day in Fish Paradise...from what they were saying, they seem pretty threatened by it! where is it exactly? I didn't want to ask them and be rude...I was hoping they would have a spot at the marine aquarium show this weekend. If you could, let me know...I'd love to check them out when they open up...and I have yet to check out the reefs edge...I wasn't too impressed with the Age of Aquarium in Davie...but some prices are pretty good.