anyone use a 10 gal refugium on a 30 gallon reef setup?

anyone use a 10 gal refugium on a 30 gallon reef setup? i have a spare 10 gallon aquarium that i am considering adding to my reef setup * which is in the planning stages * .. the tank is a 30 gallon, it will have 50 lbs of LR and a 4" DSB.
mainly would like to set this up incase i end up with a mantis, and to grow pods.. plus i hear the algae helps keep the nitrates down
the problem is, i dont know how to go about this.. im not even sure what type of overflow box to get.. the tank isnt pre-drilled or anything, so id need a overflow, which will run to the 10 gallon, then ill need a pump to return it back.
i see most people have thier refugiums above their tanks.. unfortunately, that wont work with the room i have.. thisll be put directly under the tank.
any links or info, overflow box recommendations or recommendations as to what to put in the 10 gallon would be helpful
regards,
jib
jasmith0@rcn.com

aggie05

There are plenty of overflow boxes out there for a 30. I have a 5.5 fuge behind my 10 and have three chambers in it. One contains the pump which pulls water out of the display, the other has sand and macro algae, and the third has a bulkhead where the water drains back into the display. Pretty simple design and has been working great for me.

are you referring to one of those hang on the back refugiums ? i think cpr and ecosystem both make them.
i was thinking more along the sump type, so that way id be able to put something dangerous to the tank in there.
the hot will probably work, and ive read you can grow pods and stuff back there..
just doesnt seem like much space.. most of the HOT type are like only 1 inch in width
anyone else have any info on using a 10 gallon underneath??