Anyone use a rubbermaid for a sump?

xeniaman

I have a 240 reef tank with limited space in the stand because of the bracing in the center. I am using a rubbermaid roughneck tote that I believe is 32x21x13 inches tall. I have a smaller rubbermaid tote inside that houses my msx 250 skimmer. The overflows drain into the skimmer section which I plumbed a drain at 9 inches(recommended water level for the skimmer). That water drains into the outer tote that houses live sand, live rock, chaeto, and a mangrove. The return pump sits in a rubbermaid tupperware container so no sand or chaeto gets sucked in. It actually works pretty well(make sure you don't just use standard rubbermaid bins as they will fail over time. The main reason I run my set up like this, is because my skimmer footprint is to big for my acrylic sump. I may make a new acrylic sump/refugium down the road, but if it isn't broke why fix it. I have some touchy corals and fish that are flourishing with this setup. I'll try to post some pics later

black cobra

That would be great man thanks!
Yeah I have limited room under my stand because of the bowfront design and I would like to run a bigger Skimmer and better-bigger sump/fuge and am limited on space inside so hence why I want to see some Rubbermaid setups

small triggers

me too. I have a 36x26x18 clear rubbermaid with a 13 qt inside holding my skimmer ( i have drilled holes in the smaller one for flow for the skimmer) 2 return pumps, a uv sterilizer and 2 socks. Here are some pics. I use the top to keep down the humidity, noise and water loss.

culp

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3014713
me too. I have a 36x26x18 clear rubbermaid with a 13 qt inside holding my skimmer ( i have drilled holes in the smaller one for flow for the skimmer) 2 return pumps, a uv sterilizer and 2 socks. Here are some pics. I use the top to keep down the humidity, noise and water loss.
wow that is the easy to build sump i have ever seen.
great job.

small triggers

yeah, i started with a refugium going into a seperate sump,, and man that was just to complicated. so i did the rubbermaid thing, much easier and the top really helps with the humidity.