Anyone use moonlights?

K

kpatrick

:notsure: Are there any benefits in using moon lights compared to having the lights off in your tank at night? I see a lot of them for sell on the auction site but didnt know if they really do any good or just a waste of money.
one of hte setyps im looking at is:
[I]This auction comes with:
6 assembled leds (in one string) moon lights for any AQUARIUM system, made from 5mm super bright 6000mcd moonlight blue LEDs
Instruction manual[/I]

IS this a good setup ? :notsure:

inkman2004

I use moonlights, and it is kind of cool to see what is going on at night. They say that also if you are you trying to breed certain fish that it will kind of put them on a natural cycle.

K

kpatrick

Some of the ads say for up to 48" tank but mine is a 6ft long tank. Do you think they would work? Another setup im looking at comes with 15 LEDs in a 20inch tube but would you even see the light in a 125gallon tank? I dont need something super bright but didnt even know for $25 bucks if it was worth it.
Also how do you have your lighting setup? do the moonliights come on right after your day lights go off or what time span do you use?
Thanks!!

92protruck

I just finished building my own moonlights. I used 9 led's in a 30" plastic hide-a-cord on a 48" long tank. For your 6 footer, I would go with 12-15 led's. The Led's, resistors and transformer for mine were $12.00. Mine are bright and I am very happy with them. I hve them on my timer so that they come on when my actinics go off.

wax32

I have some I got from ledwerx. My tank is sorta deep and they are almost pointless. On my shallower 29 gallon they were pretty nice though.

dmitry

Moonlights are neat to be able to observe your tank at night when all other lights in the house are off. The fish should be sleeping, but the shrimp will run around; my peppermints own the tank at night! One thing I've never been able to quite figure out is how much light is too much!

K

kpatrick

I decided against the moon lights on the auction site and I think I will try the Lunar links setup. You buy the first light and can connect up to 6 light links to it. They say to space the lights 2ft apart. Now I just need to decide how many lights I need and if I want the blue or moonlight white lights since they give you an option.

nm reef

I sort of have moonlights...I use a flexable lamp stand with a 40 watt red lamp directed into my display from the left rear.....I only use it when its dark and I want to see whats happening on the reef....definitely for my viewing pleasure alone.