anyone used a surface skimmer.?

aqua blue

I have been using a Aqua Clear surface skimmer attachment that goes on the intake of my Aqua Clear 300 power filter. I've had it for over two weeks now and it has greatly reduced the surface film that I was concerned about.
I used to have a slight build up of surface film except where the power filter return flow broke up the surface area. I also had bubbles that would build up at the surface along the edges. Now as small bubbles sometimes rise to the surface they pop intsead of building up in areas.
Because of the increase in particles and film being filtered I have to clean the sponge filter more often. I know it does not do the job that a protein skimmer does but it helped my situation for about a $10 cost.
It did however seem to also reduce the flow rate of my power filter some. But overall I think it helped the water quality in my tank. It's effectiveness may vary depending on the tank setup it is used in but it works well in mine.
:)

frankl15207

For a filter or a protein skimmer?
I had the one that Eheim makes for their cannister filter modified for another filter. It did an average job which probably had more to do with the modification than the product itself (it never adjusted properly).
I've used surface skimmers for both the CPR and Aqua C skimmers and both do a great job. I would rate the Aqua C higher on this front because of the 360 degree tooth cut intake vs. a single sided sponge intake on the CPR.

thepetbarn

I work at a local pet store in my city, and i have done a lot of research on protein skimmers. The best filter system is one that is just live rock, live sand, and a skimmer. I have found that the new Prism Pro Deluxe (fancy name but great skimmer) is the best on the open market (next to a Berlin with Ozone Generator). The PPD has a carbon intergrated basket on the return and the simple design makes it very sweet. It offers the surface skimming or sump system varitions. The collection cup is nice and big approximately 1 liter. The price should be around $200 or so here in california. Red Sea (makers of PPD) also has their basic skimmer the Prism which they are releasing a surface skimmer attachment for pretty soon. larry

peasly1

just got done hoooking up my new $14.00 surface skimmer by fuval..put it on my 404.within 20 minutes surface was very clear from sand like debris..now onto a good protein skimmer

kpogue

I have the fluval surface skimmer in my 30 reef and my 55 fresh water tanks. I've been using them for over a year now and think they're great!