Anyone vaccum the sand in your F/O?

hammerhed7

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on vaccuming your substrate. Do you do it? and if so how often, or if not why not.
I will start, I have a 220 aggressive tank, I usually vaccum the once a month, but only 1/2 of the tank at a time, and I don't dig deep into it, just hit the top inch or so. Substrate is aragonite reef grade sand. I have not had any nitrate issues using this method.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on vaccuming your substrate. Do you do it? and if so how often, or if not why not.
I will start, I have a 220 aggressive tank, I usually vaccum the once a month, but only 1/2 of the tank at a time, and I don't dig deep into it, just hit the top inch or so. Substrate is aragonite reef grade sand. I have not had any nitrate issues using this method.
If it ain't broke, why fix it? I also vac, never more than 1/4 of the sand at once. This isn't a one-size-fits-all Q&A and vacuuming isn't for all tanks.

dinogeorge

In my fish only tanks, I clean the heck out of my substrate. I run a hose down into my sump with a filter bag and clean my entire bed at least once every two weeks. I'm not removing water, just crap. Over the years I have found that this method keeps my water clean and nitrates down. It's just what I do...

hammerhed7

no, this isnt one answer fits all, I was just curious to see what others do. I know eeryone practices this differently, or not at all.

seamantimmy

I hadn't before, but started to recently. The reason I didn't in the past was because I had a pretty well-balanced ecosystem with an efficient clean up crew, and like someone already pointed out: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Then I went and "fixed" it good. I added a clown trigger to the tank, and the mayhem ensued. Heproceeded to decimate my hermit and snail population. Without a good clean up crew, I decided to start vacuuming. I'm experimenting with hardier snal species (thicker shells), but I've pretty much resolved myself to a vacuum at least once a month.
It's worth it having the cool aggressive setup - four serial killers in one happy home