ANYONE with a FROGFISH/ANGLER FISH

reb

I read all about frogfish and finally bought one last week. It had been lfs owners for about 6 months and I asked to buy it. It's a wartkin(clown). He said he fed it live feeder fish twice a week. I bought a one gallon tank with smaller feeder goldfish. I have tried feeding it everynight with a long pair of kitchen tongs holding the gold fish by its tail. I've tried holding it still for a minute andalso tried moving it around in front of him. I also tried letting it go thinking maybe he would go after it, BUT nothing. I'm scared he's going to starve. I've looked, and all my other fish are alive so he hasn't eaten anything else in my tank. He still has gorgeous color and swims around. Does anyone have any suggstions?

cartman101

Originally Posted by Reb
I read all about frogfish and finally bought one last week. It had been lfs owners for about 6 months and I asked to buy it. It's a wartkin(clown). He said he fed it live feeder fish twice a week. I bought a one gallon tank with smaller feeder goldfish. I have tried feeding it everynight with a long pair of kitchen tongs holding the gold fish by its tail. I've tried holding it still for a minute andalso tried moving it around in front of him. I also tried letting it go thinking maybe he would go after it, BUT nothing. I'm scared he's going to starve. I've looked, and all my other fish are alive so he hasn't eaten anything else in my tank. He still has gorgeous color and swims around. Does anyone have any suggstions?
I have seen this alot of times(i had a angler). Ok, i would wait a few days before feeding it since you just got him. STOP TRYING TO FEED HIM GOLDFISH! He will not eat goldfish
. Try feeding him krill,silversides,squid,shrimp. And put it on a feeder stick and wave it in front of his face for a few minutes. Try that and see if it works. The fish really needs to stop eating feederfish

mr.p

I saw one of those suckers today at my LFS first time i've ever seen one. Maaaaan are they ugly and boring. I thought it was dead and i couldn't see it's eyes. It is a fish though and i understand why some ppl would think it's cool.

E

exile415

Cartman101, Anglers will eat feeder goldfish. Although it is not good for it, It will eat it. As listed already try feeding it silversides,krilll,squid and a lot of meaty foods. I had to feed my angler feeder goldfish because it wouldnt' except anything else.

smoney

I use to have a yellow angler, and I fed him feeder fish. All i did was took one put it in the same tank and the fish paniced and small rapidly around the tank, and my angler would spot him, and stick out the little thing from his forehead and wave it then stike at the fish and eat him. just be sure not to over feed your angler. maybe a feeder fish every three to four days.

reb

I am going to try some thawed out silversides and a piece of fresh shrimp. It has been 9 days since he has eaten. I am scared that leaving a fish just go in my 125 that it will die behind some rocks and never get eaten. How long do you hold the food in front of him until he eats it?

cartman101

Originally Posted by Reb
I am going to try some thawed out silversides and a piece of fresh shrimp. It has been 9 days since he has eaten. I am scared that leaving a fish just go in my 125 that it will die behind some rocks and never get eaten. How long do you hold the food in front of him until he eats it?
wiggle the food infront of his face, you are creating a puppet that makes the fish look alive, hold it infront of him for no more then 4 minutes if fails try again another time

cartman101

Originally Posted by Mr.P
I saw one of those suckers today at my LFS first time i've ever seen one. Maaaaan are they ugly and boring. I thought it was dead and i couldn't see it's eyes. It is a fish though and i understand why some ppl would think it's cool.

Yes, they are boring but very unique, its a fish most people will pass on (like you) but if you are a hard core fish lover then this fish is definitly on YOUR list

BTW, they aren't boring when they start to fish, angler people you know what i mean

M

minitruck

I had an angler also. Mine was orange with greenish spots. I fed it many different things, krill, feeder fish, silver sides, clam and muscle. It would even eat the bloodworm cubes that I fed my other fish. Maybe try some of that. Hope your fish makes it...

cartman101

Originally Posted by minitruck
I had an angler also. Mine was orange with greenish spots. I fed it many different things, krill, feeder fish, silver sides, clam and muscle. It would even eat the bloodworm cubes that I fed my other fish. Maybe try some of that. Hope your fish makes it...
I had a big carpenter ant that fell into my tank and guess what!? My angler ate that!

crashedin0

i heard they can eat something as big as they are
and i belive it considering mine at 7 feeders in 1 sitting lol
i am switching him over to silverside but he only wants live stuff